Analyses of Mechanical and Thermal Stresses for Loft Densitometer Mounting Lug Assembly
An analysis of mechanical and thermal stresses for LOFT Gamma Densitometer mounting lugs, bolts and pipe to which the lugs are attached is presented in this paper. The analysis does not include the densitometer of the supporting structure. The mechanical loads under consideration include internal pressure, seismic loads and dynamic loads due to blow down. Thermal transients associated with normal and upset operating conditions have been considered. Appropriate finite element models were constructed for obtaining stresses and deflection analyses due to mechanical loads and thermal transients. Existing computer code of SAPIV modified for Large core Memory (LCM) for CDC 7600 and SAASIII were used for the computation of mechanical and thermal stresses. Procedures to analyze the data obtained from computer analyses for ASME code evaluation are outlined. A stress summary is presented.
KeywordsThermal Stress Load Cycle Critical Section Tungsten Alloy Coolant Pipe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Krishnamoorthy and F. H. Chou, “Stress Report for LOFT Densitometer Mounting Lug Assembly,” Technical Report, Science Application Inc., La Jolla, California. Report No. SAI-018-79-602-LJ. (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.Klaus-Jurgen Bathe, SAPIV: A Structural Analysis Program for Static and Dynamic Response of Linear Systems, University of California, Berkeley, Earthquake Engineering Research Center Report No. PB-221 967. (June 1973).Google Scholar
- 3.R. A. Lindley, “LOFT Primary Coolant Loop Thermal Transient Analyses,” Aerojet Nuclear Company, Report No. LTR 141-30 (TR-588). (Jan. 1975).Google Scholar
- 4.J. G. Crose and R. M. Jones, SAASIII, Finite Element Stress Analysis of Axisymmetric and Plane Solids with Different Orthotropic, Temperature Dependent Material Properties in Tension and Compression, Aerospace Corporation, Report No. TR-0059 (56816-53)-1. (June 1971).Google Scholar
- 5.i) ASME B & PV Code Section III, Division 1; (ii) ASME B & PV Code Nuclear Power Plant Components, Division 1 Appendices.Google Scholar