Thermal Stresses in Coal Conversion Pressure Vessels Built of Layered Construction
Radially varying temperature and thermal stress distributions in layered pressure vessels designed for use in coal conversion processes are investigated. A least-squares residual method which incorporates Lagrange multipliers for satisfaction of initial, boundary and interface conditions is employed in the case of transient heat conduction. Assuming orthotropic elastic behavior, a general solution is formulated for the stresses induced by combined temperature, pressures and initial interferences between layers. The effects of heat-transfer resistance at layer contact surfaces are illustrated through several numerical examples. Representation of a layered vessel as a homogeneous cylinder having an effective thermal conductivity, for the purpose of predicting thermoelastic response, is also explored.
KeywordsThermal Stress Pressure Vessel Effective Thermal Conductivity Circumferential Stress Transient Heat Conduction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, “Pressure Vessels: Division 1, and Division 2—Alternative Rules, Winter 1978 Addenda” (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, “Pressure Vessels: Division 1, and Division 2—Alternative Rules” (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.N. D. Weills and E. A. Ryder, “Thermal Resistance Measurements of Joints Formed Between Stationary Metal Surfaces”, inJ. Heat Transfer, TRANS. ASME, Vol. 71 (1949), p. 259.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Maruyama, H. Togawa and S. Kimura, “Analysis of Transient Thermal Stress and Thermal Fatigue Strength on Multiwall Vessel and Nonintegral Reinforcing Structure”, Third Intl. Conf. on Pressure Vessel Technology, Tokyo, April 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Suto, T. Hada and H. Kawano, “Study of Elevated-Temperature Strength of Coilayer Vessel with Nozzles”, Technical Review, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., June 1972.Google Scholar
- 6.R. A. Mancuso and H. C. Rauschenplat, “Thermal Transient Analysis in Layered Pressure Vessels”, ASME Pressure Vessel and Piping Conf., San Francisco, 79-PVP-13 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, Conduction of Heat in Solids, 2nd ed., Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford (1959).Google Scholar
- 9.B. I. Birger, “Thermal Stresses in an Anisotropic Cylinder”, Izvestiya Vuz, Aviatsionnaya Tekhnika, Vol. 14 (1971), p. 24.Google Scholar
- 11.The Handbook of Castable Refractories, Harbison-Walker Refractories, Pittsburgh (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.G. E. Myers, Analytical Methods in Conduction Heat Transfer, McGraw-Hill, New York (1971).Google Scholar