Current Status of in Vitro Fertilization and Reimplantation
The birth of baby Louise Brown in July 1978 was truly a dramatic event. Although it was the result of many years of intensive research, the event itself was a milestone in man’s ability to work with nature. To some, in vitro fertilization and reimplantation represents a Pandora’s box of “brave new world” reproduction: of oocyte donors and rental wombs. To others, it means a future chance, and I emphasize future and chance, of parenthood for the thousands of women who are sterile because of irrevocably damaged Fallopian tubes.
KeywordsGranulosa Cell Fallopian Tube Follicular Fluid Human Oocyte Oocyte Donor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, T. G., Oogenesis and ovarian development, in: Reproductive Biology (H. Balin and S. R. Glasser, eds.), p. 378, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.Pincus, G., and Saunders, B., Unfertilized human tubal ova, Anat. Rec. 69: 163 (1939).Google Scholar
- 5.Ortiz, M. E., and Croxalto, H. B., Observations on transport, aging, and development of ova in the human genital tract, in: Recent Advances in Reproduction and Regulation of Fertility (G. P. Talwar, ed.), p. 307, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.Edwards, R. G., Donahue, R. P., Baraink, T. A., et al., Preliminary attempts to fertilize oocytes matured in-vitro, Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 76: 192 (1966).Google Scholar
- 12.Steptoe, P. L., and Edwards, R. G., Birth after the reimplantation of a human embryo, Lancet 2: 36 (1978).Google Scholar
- 13.Steptoe, P. L., and Edwards, R. G., Report to the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, January 26, 1979.Google Scholar
- 14.Leridan, H., Démographie des échers de la reproduction, in: Les Accidents Chromosomiques de la Repro-duction (A. Borie and C. Thibeault, eds.), p. 13, Centre International de L’Enfance, Paris (1973).Google Scholar
- 15.Biggers, J. D., In-vitro fertilization, embryo culture, and embryo transfer in the human, Report to Ethics Advisory Committee, Department of Health, Education and Welfare, p. 41, September 15 (1978).Google Scholar