Variations in Precipitation and Streamwater Chemistry at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest during 1964 to 1977
In 1975 at the First International Symposium on Acid Precipitation and the Forest Ecosystem in Ohio, we summarized the changes relative to sulfur, nitrogen and hydrogen ion input in precipitation during 1964 to 1974 for the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest in New Hampshire (Likens et al. 1), In some ways this paper is an update of those data.
KeywordsStream Water Acid Precipitation Annual Input Annual Streamflow Precipitation Input
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. E. Likens, F. H. Bormann, J. S. Eaton, R. S. Pierce, and N. M. Johnson, Hydrogen ion input to the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, New Hampshire during the last decade, in: “Proc. The First Internat. Symp. on Acid Precipitation and the Forest Ecosystem”, L. S. Dochinger and T. A. Seliga, eds. USDA Forest Service General Tech. Report NE-23, p.397 (1976); Also, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 6:435.Google Scholar
- 2.G. E. Likens, F. H. Bormann, R. S. Pierce, J. S. Eaton and N. M. Johnson, “Biogeochemistry of a Forested Ecosystem” Springer-Verlag New York Inc., 146 pp. (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.M. J. Jordan, and G. E. Likens, An organic carbon budget for an oligotrophic lake in New Hampshire, U.S.A., Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 19(2):994 (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.C. E. Junge, The distribution of ammonia and nitrate in rain water over the United States, Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union 39:241 (1958).Google Scholar
- 5.G. E. Likens, The chemistry of precipitation in the central Finger Lakes Region. Water Resources and Marine Sciences Center Tech. Report 50, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 61 pp. (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.J. S. Eaton, G. E. Likens, and F. H. Bormann, Wet and dry deposition of sulfur at Hubbard Brook. Proceedings from the NATO Advanced Research Institute on Effects of Acid Precipitation on Terrestrial Ecosystems, Toronto, Ontario (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.T. G. Siccama, and W. H. Smith, Lead accumulation in a northern hardwood forest, Environ. Sci. & Tech. (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.F. H. Bormann, and G. E. Likens, The fresh air-clean water exchange, Natural History 86 (9): 62 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.C. W. Martin, R. S. Pierce, G. E. Likens, and F. H. Bormann, Commercial clearcutting affects nutrient cycles and stream chemistry in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Submitted for publication (1978).Google Scholar
- 13.G. E. Likens, Acid precipitation, Chemical and Engineering News 54: 29 (1976).Google Scholar