Acoustic Echo Computer Tomography
Acoustic tomography systems described in the past were designed to provide a cross-sectional image of an object by employing transmission of a beam of ultrasonic energy. The data thus obtained were processed by a computer using a suitable algorithm. This resulted in an image based upon either the acoustic velocity or the attenuation characterisic of the object. This paper describes two novel imaging techniques which are based on the reflection of acoustic waves from the distribution of scattering centers within the object. One of the primary advantages envisioned for the proposed techniques is the use of a single collimated beam of ultrasound in the plane of the tomogram in lieu of slow mechanical scanning or multiple transducer arrays. Results are presented of a laboratory experiment which was performed to test the validity of one of the proposed concepts.
KeywordsAttenuation Radar Deblurring Acoustics Summing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.F. Greenleaf, S.A. Johnson, S.L. Lee, G.T. Herman and E.H. Wood, “Algebraic Reconstruction of Spatial Distributions of Acoustic Absorption Within Tissue from their Two-Dimensional Acoustic Projections,” Acoustical Holography, Vol. 5, P.S. Green, Editor, Plenum Press, New York, 1974, pp. 591–603.Google Scholar
- J.F. Greenleaf, S.A. Johnson, W.F. Samayoa and F.A. Duck, “Algebraic Reconstruction of Spatial Distribution of Acoustic Velocities in Tissue from their Time of Flight Profiles,” Acoustical Holography, Vol. 6, N. Booth, Editor, Plenum Press, New York, 1975, pp. 71–90.Google Scholar
- H.L. Baker, J.K. Campbell, D.W. Hauser, D.F. Reese, P.F. Sheedy and C.B. Holman, “Computer Assisted Tomography of the Head - An Early Evaluation,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Vol. 49, January 1964, pp. 17–27.Google Scholar
- B. Gordon, G.T. Herman and S.A. Johnson, “Image Reconstruction from Projections,” Scientific American, October 1975, pp. 56–68.Google Scholar
- L.A. Shepp and B.F. Logan, “The Fourier Reconstruction of a Head Section,” IEEE Transactions of Nuclear Science, Vol. NS- 21, June 1974.Google Scholar