Reactions Between Heavy Ions at High Energy
Why do I work on heavy ion reactions at high energies? A few years ago I had finished a review on pion-nucleus physics and I felt like starting something new. Heavy ion research at the Bevalac had just begun and rumors about fantastic results were running high. They made me curious and I started to look into the first experiments which had just been finished. The fantastic results which had attracted me, found their down-to-earth explanation. Yet my excitement and fascination stay. I feel like an adventurer, I am among the first to enter a new wilderness where there is no street nor path. We all keep our eyes and ears open, always prepared for the fantastique (which so rarely happens) but still happy if a new piece of nature is discovered and understood. As Jensen once said about some of his own work: “I was digging for a treasure and found a worm.”
KeywordsImpact Parameter Target Nucleus Inclusive Cross Section Double Differential Cross Section Target Nucleon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AG 77.
- AH 78.A. Abul-Magd and Jörg Hüfner, submitted to Nucl. Phys. AGoogle Scholar
- B 76.
- BF 76.J.P. Bondorf, H.T. Feldmeier, S. Garpman and E.C. Halbert, Phys. Lett. 65B (1976) 217; J.P. Bondorf, P. J. Siemens, S. Garpman and E.C. Halbert, Z. Phys. 279 (1976) 385Google Scholar
- BN 73.
- BS 75.J.D. Bowman, W.J. Swiatecki and C.F. Tsang, Berkeley 1975, unpublishedGoogle Scholar
- BSe 75.
- BS 78.M. Bleszynski and C. Sander, preprint, Heidelberg (1978)Google Scholar
- BW 77.A.R. Bodmer and C.N. Panos, Phys. Rev. C15 (1977) 1342 L. Wilets, F.M.Henley, M. Kraft and A.D. MacKellar, Nucl. Phys. A282 (1977) 341Google Scholar
- CJ 73.G.F. Chapline, M.H. Johnson, E. Teller and M.S. Weiss, Phys. Rev. D8 (1973) 4302 M.I. Sobel, P. J. Siemens, J.P. Bondorf and H.A. Bethe, Nucl. Phys. A251 (1975) 502Google Scholar
- GL 59.R.J. Glauber, in Lectures in theoretical physics, vol. I, ed. W.E. Brittin et al. (Interscience Publishers, NY, 1959) PP 315–414Google Scholar
- GM 70.
- HK 77.
- HL 76.
- HS 75.J. Hufner, K. Schafer and B. Schiirmann, Phys. Rev. C12 (1975) 1888Google Scholar
- HS 78.J. Hufner, C. Sander and G. Wolschin, Phys. Lett. 73B (1978) 289Google Scholar
- Hu 78.J. Hüfner, From quantal multiple scattering theory to a classical transport equation, Ann. Phys. to be published (1978)Google Scholar
- LG 75.P.J. Lindstrom, D.E. Greiner, H.H. Heckman, B. Cork and F.S. Bieser, report LBL-3650, Feb. 75Google Scholar
- PJ 75.
- WG 76.