Relationships Between Drinking Behavior of Alcoholics in a Drinking-Decisions Treatment Program and Treatment Outcome
In a recent paper we described the variety of drinking behaviors exhibited by patients participating in a drinking-decisions treatment program for alcoholics and the relationship between some of these patterns of behavior and treatment outcome at six months (Alterman, Gottheil, and Thornton, 1977). To briefly summarize the findings, it was found that nondrinkers on the program fared better generally than program drinkers following treatment but that various subgroups of program drinkers who were able to exercise some degree of control over their drinking did nearly as well after treatment as program nondrinkers. Patterns of drinking on the program were therefore found to be correlated with drinking following treatment. These findings appeared to be of import, first, in providing evidence for the validity of a drinking-decisions research model for the study of alcoholism and, secondly, because they suggested that alcoholics vary in their ability to regulate their drinking.
KeywordsTreatment Outcome Drinking Behavior Drinking Pattern Alcoholism Treatment Alcohol Availability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alterman, A. I., Gottheil, E. and Thornton, C. C. Variations in patterns of drinking of alcoholics in a drinking-decisions program. Presented at the 8th Annual NCA/AMSA Medical-Scientific Meeting, San Diego, CA, May 2, 1977.Google Scholar
- Armor, D. J., Polich, J. M. and Stambul, H. B. Alcoholism and Treatment. Santa Monica, CA: Rand, June, 1976. (R-1739-NIAAA.)Google Scholar
- Gottheil, E. . Proceedings of 2nd Annual Alcoholism Conference of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (June 1–2, 1972), DHEW Publication No. (NIH) 74–676, 139–157, 1973.Google Scholar
- Gottheil, E., Alterman, A. I., Skoloda, T. E. etal. Alcoholics’ patterns of controlled drinking. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1973, 130, 418–422.Google Scholar
- Gottheil, E., Corbett, L. O., Grasberger, J. C. etal. Treating the alcoholic in the presence of alcohol. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1971, 128, 475–480.Google Scholar
- Gottheil,, E., Corbett, L. O., Grasberger, J. C. and Cornelison, F. S., Jr. Fixed interval drinking decisions. I. A research and treatment model. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 1972, 33, 311–324.Google Scholar
- Harris, L. and Associates, Inc. Public Awareness of the NIAAA Advertising Campaign and Public Attitudes toward Drinking and Alcohol Abuse, Feb., 1974.Google Scholar
- Jellinek, E. M. The Disease Concept of Alcoholism. Highland Park, NJ: Hillhouse Press, 1960.Google Scholar
- Pattison. E. M. Rehabilitation of the chronic alcoholic. In B. Kissin and H. Begleiter (Eds.), The Biology of Alcoholism. New York: Plenum Press, 1974, pp. 587–658.Google Scholar