Surgical Management of Post-Chemotherapy Residual Testis Tumor
In considering the management of residual testis cancer after chemotherapy, one needs to review the previous modes of therapy of advanced testis cancer as well as review the changes in chemotherapy and staging procedures which have allowed the mode of therapy to evolve to its current day form increasing survival from 5–10% a decade ago to greater than 80% at this time. Each of these aspects will be considered in turn followed by current recommendations for workup of the patient and for evaluation of the patient after completion of chemotherapy. Also the preoperative preparations will be discussed along with intraoperative surgical considerations and postoperative management. The results of this combined treatment regimen will be considered as well as the complications of the treatment. Finally, an overall flow sheet of the management of patients with disseminated testis cancer will be presented. This flow sheet emphasizes the indications for surgery and its interrelationship with chemotherapy for advanced seminoma as well as non-seminomatous germ cell testis tumors.
KeywordsToxicity Catheter Platinum Oncol Radionuclide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Donohue JP: Surgical management of testis cancer. In: Testicular Tumors: Management and Treatment, Einhorn LH (ed). New York: Masson Publishing USA Inc, pp 29–46, 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.Li MC, Whitmore WF, Golbey R, Grabstald H: Effects of combined drug therapy on metastatic cancer of the testis. JAMA 174:145–153, 1960.Google Scholar
- 13.Cvitkovic E, Cheng E, Whitmore WF Jr et al.: Germ cell tumors. Chemotherapy update. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 18:324, 1977.Google Scholar
- 17.Einhorn LH, Williams SD: The management of disseminated testicular cancer. In: Testicular Tumors: Management and Treatment, Einhorn LH (ed). New York: Masson Publishing USA Inc, pp 117–149, 1980.Google Scholar
- 18.Einhorn LH: Testicular cancer. In: Medical Oncology, Schiein P, Calabres P (eds). New York City: MacMillan (in press).Google Scholar
- 24.Lange PH, McIntire KR, Waldman TA: Tumor markers in testicular tumor: current status and future prospects. In: Testicular Tumors: Management and Treatment, Einhorn LH (ed). New York: Masson Publishing USA Inc, pp 69–81, 1980.Google Scholar
- 30.Mandelbaum I, Yaw PB, Einhorn LH, Williams SD, Rowland RG, Donohue JP: The importance of one-stage median sternotomy and retroperitoneal node dissection in disseminated testicular cancer. Presented at Soc of Thoracic Surgeons, San Francisco, January 1983. Ann Surg 36:524–528, 1983.Google Scholar
- 31.Richie JP: Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 34.Rowland RG, Moorthy SS, Donohue JP: Anesthetic considerations for post-chemotherapy radical retroperitoneal lymph node dissection. Presented North Central Section American Urological Association, Marco Island, Florida, October 1982.Google Scholar