Interfacial Properties of Filled Epoxide Resins
The fracture properties of two commercial epoxide resins both unfilled and filled with varying volume fraction of silica, alumina and dolomite particles have been investigated. The variation in the stress intensity factor with the crack velocity was measured using the double torsion test technique. In order to examine the influence of the resin-filler adhesion on the fracture toughness, alumina particles were treated with three silane compounds. In addition the yield stresses and the flexural strengths were measured. In an attempt to si-mulate resin-filler interactions and to measure the fracture energy for interfacial separation a scarf joint was used with a bond angle of 45 °. This geometry produces a mixture of mode I and mode II loading. The combined mode strain energy release rate (G(I,II)c) was determined.
KeywordsQuartz Graphite Carbide Silane Rubber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.C. Phillips and B. Harris, in “Polymer Engineering Composites”, M.O.W. Richardson Editor, Ch. 2, Appliqd Science, London 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.K.L. Mittal, Solid State Technol. ( May 1979 ) 89.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Tourenq and F. Gragger, Naturstein Ind., 11, 19 (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.B.J. Pletka, E.R. Fuller and B.G. Loepke, in “Fracture Mechanics Applied to Brittle Materials”, STP No. 678, p. 3, 19, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.B. Stalder, Ph. Béguelin and H.H. Kausch, Int. J. Fract., in press (1982).Google Scholar
- 18.J.C. Hammond and D.C. Quayle, Second Int. Conf. on Deformation, Yield and Fracture of Polymers, P.R.I., March 1973, Cambridge, UKGoogle Scholar
- 19.A.C. Moloney, H.H. Kausch and H.R. Stieger, manuscript in preparation (1983).Google Scholar
- 24.J.A. Manson and L.H. Sperling, “Polymer Blends and Composites”, Plenum Press, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 26.R.J. Young and P.W.R. Beaumont, J. Mater. Sci., 10, 1343 (1975) and 12, 684 (1977).Google Scholar
- 35.W.D. Bascom, R.L. Cottington and C.O. Timmons, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. Appl. Polym. Symp., 32, 165 (1977).Google Scholar