Cure Reaction Kinetics Characterization of Some Model Organic Coatings Systems by FT-IR and Thermal Mechanical Analysis
During the last several years the coatings industry has met the challenges of government regulations concerning volatile organic compound emissions and the increasing costs of petroleum based solvents by developing a variety of new coatings technologies. This has led to a need for improved methods of materials characterization. Techniques for assessing degree of cure and fractional conversion based upon fundamental reaction kinetics are included in these needs.
KeywordsPeroxide Enthalpy Petroleum Cobalt Epoxy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. F. Kah, M. E. Koehler, T. H. Grentzer, T. F. Niemann and T. Provder, “An Automated Thermal Analysis System For Reaction Kinetics”, Preprints, Org. Coatings Plastics Div., Amer. Chem. Soc., 45, 480 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.T. H. Grentzer, R. M. Holsworth and T. Provder, “The Application Of The Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer To Organic Coatings”, Preprints, Org. Coatings Plastics Div., Amer. Chem. Soc., 44, 515 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.T. Provder, F. B. Malihi, C. M. Neag, R. M. Holsworth, and M. E. Koehler, “Simulation Of Non-isothermal Cure Of Coatings From DMA And DSC Reaction Kinetics”, Preprints, Org. Coat. Plastics Div., Amer. Chem. Soc., 47, 493 (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.M. E. Koehler, A. F. Kah, C. M. Neag, T. F. Niemann, F. B. Malihi, and T. Provder, “Computer Automation Of The Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer And Its Application To Cure Kinetics Studies And Dynamic Mechanical Property Analysis Of Organic Coatings”, this volume.Google Scholar
- 5.C. M. Neag, R. M. Holsworth, T. Provder and F. B. Malihi, “A Study Of Cure Kinetics By Dynamic Mechanical Analysis”, Preprints, IUPAC Symposium, 855, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.K. J. Saunders, Organic Polymer Chemistry, Chapman and Hall, Ltd., London, 1973, Chap. 10.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Odian, Principles of Polymerization, McGraw Hill, 1970, pp. 172 - 178.Google Scholar
- 8.P. I. Kordomenos, A. H. Dervan, and J. Kresta, “Kinetics Of Thermal Dissociation Of Blocked Isocyanate Crosslinkers”, J. Coatings Tech., 53, No. 673, 35 (1982).Google Scholar