Measurements of the Gamma Abundance of Silicon-31
Direct determination of the induced 31p concentrations in neutron transmutation doped silicon may be obtained by measurements of absolute activities of 31Si by detection of the 1.266 MeV gamma-rays that are emitted, provided the gamma abundance is known. In previous work it was inferred that the gamma abundance of 31Si is significantly lower than the accepted value of 7 × 10-4. To confirm this result a 4 π proportional counter and a calibrated Ge(Li) detector were used to measure both the absolute beta and gamma activities, respectively, of thin silicon samples. The resultant gamma abundance of 31Si was found to be 5.9 × 10-4 ± 5%.
KeywordsCount Rate Silicon Wafer Gamma Activity Beta Activity Transmission Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. R. Hart, L. D. Albert, N. G. Skinner, M. H. Young, R. Baron, and 0. J. Marsh, in Neutron Transmutation Doping in Semiconductors, Jon M. Messe, Ed. ( Plenum, New York, 1979 ), p. 345.Google Scholar
- 2.. E. Browne, J. M. Dairiki, and R. E. Doebler, Table of Isotopes(John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1978 ).Google Scholar
- 3.W. S. Lyon and J. J. Manning, Phys. Rev. 93, 501 (1954).Google Scholar
- 4.I. Kaplan, Nuclear Physics(Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Inc., Reading, Mass., 1962 ).Google Scholar
- 5.L. Pages, E. Bertel, H. Joffre, and L. Sklavenitis, Atomic Data 4, 1 (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.G. I. Gleason, J. D. Taylor, and D. L. Tabern, Nucleonics 8, 12 (May 1951).Google Scholar
- 7.J. B. Cumming, BNL-6470 (1962).Google Scholar