Classification of 358 Cases of Acute Myeloid Leukemia by FAB Criteria: Analysis of Clinical and Morphologic Features
In 1976, a new morphologic classification for the acute leukemias was proposed by a working committee of French, American, and British hematologists [1,2]. Since its introduction, the FAB classification has been widely accepted internationally because of its underlying logic and relative ease of application. It has served as the basis for classification in several studies evaluating the results of chemotherapy in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) [3–8].
KeywordsAcute Myeloid Leukemia Mitotic Count Serum Lysozyme Absolute Monocyte Count Acute Monocytic Leukemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gralnick HR, Galton DAG, Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Sultan C, Bennett JM: Classification of acute leukemia. Ann Intern Med 87:740–753, 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.Bennett JM, Begg CB: The cytochemistry of adult acute myeloid leukemia: correlation of subtypes with response and survival: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study. Cancer Res 3:271–283, 1981.Google Scholar
- 13.Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, Flandrin G, Galton DAG, Gralnick HR, Sultan C: The French-American-British (FAB) Cooperative Group: Proposals for the classification of the myelodysplastic syndromes. Brit J Haematol 51:189–199, 1982.Google Scholar
- 15.McKenna RW, Bloomfield CD, Dick F, Nesbit ME, Brunning RD: Acute monoblastic leukemia: Diagnosis and treatment of ten cases. Blood 45:481–494, 1978.Google Scholar
- 18.Bennett JM: Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 24.Dreyfus B: Preleukemic states I. Definition and classification II. Refractory anemia with an excess of myeloblasts in the bone marrow (smoldering acute leukemia). Blood Cells 2:33–43, 1976.Google Scholar
- 25.Foucar K, Langdon R, Carroll T: Clinicopathologic features of myelodysplastic syndromes. Lab Invest 50:21A, 1984.Google Scholar
- 26.Bennett JM: Leukemia Morphology and Cytochemistry, in Gunz FW and Henderson ES (eds) Leukemia, 4th ed. Grune & Stratton, NY, 1982, pp 463–474.Google Scholar