Can we support comprehensive home care for haemophiliacs?
Twenty years ago, the child with severe haemophilia was not expected to survive beyond the fourth decade . If he did he was likely to have marked haemophilic arthropathy, affecting hips and shoulders, knees, ankles and elbows. His arthritis would have crippled him, and, together with contractures due to fibrous repair following muscle haemorrhage, would have marked him out from his peers early in his adult life. He would have been less likely to marry  and less likely to succeed in his chosen career  than his non-haemophilic contemporaries. In short, unless he was lucky, he was denied both quantity and quality of life.
KeywordsArthritis Hepatitis Syringe Fractionation Tated
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Biggs R (ed): The Treatment of Haemophilia A and B and von Willebrand’s Disease. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1978: 25.Google Scholar
- 2.Morgan W: The young haemophilic adult. In: Haemophilia Home Therapy, Jones P (ed). London, Pitman Medical, 1980: 39 - 50.Google Scholar
- 5.Jones P: The haemophilia service and home therapy. In: Haemophilia Home Therapy, Jones P (ed). London, Pitman Medical, 1980: 10 - 23.Google Scholar
- 6.Massie R, Massie S: Journey. London, Victor Gollancz, 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.Biggs R, Macfarlane RG (eds): Treatment of Haemophilia and Other Coagulation Disorders (1st edn.). Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1966.Google Scholar
- 8.Hardisty RM, Ingram GIC: Bleeding Disorders. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1965.Google Scholar
- 9.Duthie RB, Matthews JM, Rizza CR, Steel WM: The Management of Musculo-skeletal Problems in the Haemophiliac. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.Hagen PJ: Blood: Gift or Merchandise. New York, Alan R Liss, 1982.Google Scholar
- 12.Aledort LM, Diaz M: The cost of care for haemophiliacs. In: Haemophilia in the Child and Adult, Hilgartner MW (ed). New York, Masson Publishing, 1982.Google Scholar
- 15.Jones P: The haemophilia service and home therapy. In: Haemophilia Home Therapy, Jones P (ed). London, Pitman Medical 1980, 19.Google Scholar