Oxygen Self-Diffusion in Cubic ZrO2 Solid Solutions
Because of the interest in their application to solid electrolyte, electrical conductivity has been extensively determined for various stabilized ZrO2 by many investigators. In contrast, direct determination of the oxygen tracer diffusion coefficient has been made only for CaO-stabilized ZrO2 by Kingery et al. (1959) and later by Simpson and Carter (1966). Agreement of the oxygen self-diffusion coefficient with the electrical conductivity determined by Kingery et al. proved that CaO-stabilized ZrO2 is an oxygen ionic conductor due to the temperature-independent oxygen vacancies resultant from substitution of divalent Ca ions for Zr ions in the fluorite structure. The determined activation energy, 127 kJ/mol, was interpreted to be the migration energy for the oxygen ion.
KeywordsOxygen Vacancy Oxygen Diffusivity Migration Energy High Temperature Dependence Defect Association
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Ando, Y. Oishi, H. Koizumi and Y. Sakka, J. Mat. Sci. Let., to be published (1984).Google Scholar
- C. R. A. Catlow and A. B. Lidiard, Theoretical Studies of Point-Defect Properties of Uranium Dioxide, IAEA Symposium on the Thermodynamics of Nuclear Materials, Vienna, Oct. 190 /13: 27 (1974).Google Scholar
- J. M. Floyd, Indian J. Technol. 11: 589 (1973).Google Scholar
- D. K. Hohnke, Ionic Conduction in Doped Zirconia, in Fast Ion Trans-port in Solids, Eds., Vashishta, P., J. N. Mundy and G. K.Shenoy, North-Holland, pp. 669.Google Scholar
- S. Kobayashi, Yogyo-Kyokai-Shi 89:14.Google Scholar
- Y. Oishi, K. Ando and Y. Sakka, Lattice and Grain-Boundary Diffusion Coefficients of Cations in Stabilized Zirconias, Advances in Ceramics, Vol. 7, Additives and Interfaces in Electronic Ceramics, Eds., M. F. Yan and A. H. Heuer, pp. 208 (1983).Google Scholar
- T. G. Stratton, D. Reed and H. L. Tuller, Study of Boundary Effects in Stabilized Zirconia Electrolytes, Advances in Ceramics, Vol. 1, Grain Boundary Phenomena in Electronic Ceramics, Ed., L. M. Levinson, pp. 114 (1981).Google Scholar
- Y. Suzuki, private communication (1983).Google Scholar
- A. N. Vlasov, Elektrokhimiya 19: 1624 (1983).Google Scholar