Evidence for the Existence of Two Distinct Types of Peyer’s Patches in Sheep
Johann Peyer included a description of the Peyer’s patches (PP) in sheep as part of his monograph published in 1677 which provided the first detailed account of the “intestinal glands” that are found in all higher vertebrates. The inclusion of sheep in the list of species in which he noted PP was probably as a consequence of one of his other studies on the mechanisms of rumination. The PP in sheep have received attention periodically since that time. In 1928 Carlens published an account of the PP in domestic animals which included their distribution, ontogeny and age-related changes. We have recently reexamined these topics in the sheep and confirmed Carlens’ observations which showed that sheep PP have a number of important features (Reynolds and Morris, 1983).
KeywordsTerminal Ileum Muscularis Mucosa Thymic Involution Proximal Ileum Dome Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carlens, O., 1928, Studien ueber das lymphatische Gewebe des Darmkanals bei einigen Haustieren, mit besonderer Beruecksichtigung der embryonalen Entwicklung, der Mengenverhaeltnisse und der Altersinvolution dieses Gewebes im Duenndarm des Rindes., Z. Anat. Entwicklungsgesch., 86:393.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gerber, H.A., 1979, “Functional Studies on Gut-Associated Lymphoid Tissues”. Ph.D. thesis, Australian National University.Google Scholar
- Lascelles, A.K., and Morris, B., 1961, Surgical techniques for the collection of lymph from unanaesthetized sheep. Q. J. Exp. Physiol., 46:199.Google Scholar
- Perey, D.Y.E., and Milne, R.W., 1975, Rabbit gut-associated lymphoid tissue. Major pathway for thoracic duct lymphocyte circulation. Lab Invest., 18:15.Google Scholar
- Peyer, J.C., 1677, “Exercitatio anat. de glandulis intestinorum earumque usu et affectionibus”, Schaffhausen.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, J.D., 1976, “The Development and Physiology of the Gut-Associated Lymphoid Tissues in Lambs” Ph.D. thesis, Australian National University.Google Scholar