Hadron Jets and Large Transverse Momentum Electrons at the SPS pp̄ Collider
A preliminary analysis of the UA2 data collected at the SPS \(\bar pp\)p collider during the 1982 run (20 nb-1) is presented, with particular emphasis on large transverse momentum hadron jets and on electrons having the configuration expected from the decay of electroweak bosons. The data provide very strong evidence of two-jet dominance in events having a large transverse energy released in the central region. Four isolated electrons condidates having a transverse momentum in excess of 20 GeV/c are observed, with no significant transverse momentum balance within the UA2 acceptance. These events are consistent with the hypothesis W → eν.
KeywordsTransverse Momentum Transverse Energy Drift Chamber Large Transverse Momentum Vertex Detector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F.E. Paige, BNL - 27066 (1979).Google Scholar
- R. Horgan and M. Jacob, CERN 81-04, p. 65 (1981),Google Scholar
- M. Banner et al., Inclusive charged particle production at the CERN pp Collider, to be published in Phys. Lett.Google Scholar
- A.G. Clark, Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Inst, for Colliding Beam Phys., SLAC, 1982.Google Scholar
- The UA2 Collaboration, First Results from the UA2 experiment, presented at the 2nd Int. Conf. on Physics in Collisions, Stockholm, Sweden, 2 - 4 June 1982.Google Scholar