The D0 Detector for the Fermilab Collider and the Future Physics Program at CESR
By late ’86 the Fermilab superconducting ring is expected to be operating as a proton-antiproton collider, sometimes known as TEV I, at a c.m. energy \(\sqrt s = 2\) TeV, with a luminosity of 1030 cm-2s-1. Concurrently a machine improvement program is under way at the CESR e+e- collider at Cornell, with the aim to raise the collider luminosity up to values of ~ 5 pb-1 day-1. Two new detectors have been designed to take advantage of the promises of the new colliders in several fields of particle physics: the ‘DO’ detector at Fermilab and the ‘CLEO II’ detector at CESR. The design principles of the two detectors and some examples of the physics which they can address are presented.
KeywordsLiquid Argon Transition Radiation Detector High Light Output Bismuth Germanate Direct Photon Production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See the many discussions in: Proc. of the 1982 DPF Summer Study on Elementary Particle Physics, Eds. R. Donaldson, R. Gustafson, F. Paige, APS (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.D0 Design Report, by physicists from: U of Arizona, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Brown U, Columbia U, Fermilab, Florida State U, U of Maryland, Michigan State U, Northwestern U, U of Pennsylvania, SUNY at Stony Brook, VPI. Fermilab Experiment E740 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.See for instance the presentations by the UA1 and UA2 Collaborations at this Conference.Google Scholar
- 4.W.J. Willis, V. Radeka, NIM 120 (1974) 221Google Scholar
- J.H. Cobb et al, NIM 158 (197 (93Google Scholar
- C.W. Fabjan et al, NIM 141 (1977) 61.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Smith et al, Stony Brook Preprint ITB-SB-83-11 (1983).Google Scholar
- 6.See for instance W.J. Marciano, Proc. Int. Symp. on Lepton and Photon Interactions, Eds. D.G. Cassel, D.L. Kreinick, Cornell University (1983), p. 80.Google Scholar
- 7.This result was obtained using the ISAJET M.C. program of F. E. Paige and S. D. Protopopescu, BNL 29777 to generate events into the D0 detector.Google Scholar
- 8.See the talks of J. Lee-Franzini and R. Rűckl at this Conference.Google Scholar
- 9.Experimental results on B meson decays were presented at this Conference by: P. Avery, W. Ford, J- Lee- Franzini and G. Trilling.Google Scholar
- 10.B. Gittelman et al, CLEO CBX-84-2, Cornell U (1984).Google Scholar