The oral cavity is divided into two parts: the vestibule and the mouth. The vestibule is composed of the space between the lips and cheeks and the teeth. The mouth is that space enclosed by the soft palate, teeth, gums, alveoli, and oropharyngeal isthmus. Structures that lie within the mouth include the tongue, the opening of the parotid (Stensen’s) duct, the opening of the submaxillary (Wharton’s) duct, and a series of openings of the sublingual (Rivinus) ducts. The intraoral surface is lined by a mucous membrane of stratified squamous epithelium that is responsive to and affected by the elevated hormones of pregnancy.
KeywordsOral Cavity Lower Esophageal Sphincter Lower Esophageal Sphincter Pressure Congenital Syphilis Amelogenesis Imperfecta
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Coles O: On the condition of the mouth and teeth during pregnancy. Am J Dent Sci 8:361– 410, 1874Google Scholar
- 2.Buhs A: Caries, saliva, and pregnancy. I Clinical II: Physiological chemistry. Sammlung Meusser 42 (1): 96, 1959Google Scholar
- 3.Winship DH: Gastrointestinal Diseases, in Burrow GD, Ferris TF (eds): Medical Complications During Pregnancy. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1975, p 277Google Scholar
- 4.Glenn FB: Immunity conveyed by sodium fluoride tablet supplement during pregnancy. Presented at the American Dental Association meeting, Anaheim, CA, Oct 22, 1978Google Scholar
- 5.Bergstrom LB: Anomalies of the oral cavity and pharynx, in English GM (ed): Otolaryngology. Hagerstown, MD, Harper & Row, 1976, pp 421–428Google Scholar
- 7.Pendleton HJ: Acute folic acid deficiency of pregnancy associated with oral ulceration and anecephaly. Proc R Soc Med 62:834– 836, 1969Google Scholar
- 9.Ringsdort WM, Powell BJ, Knight LA, et al: Peridental status and pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 83:258– 263, 1962Google Scholar
- 10.Reid DE: Textbook of Obstetrics. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1962, p 178Google Scholar
- 11.Pritchard JA, MacDonald PC: Prenatal Care Williams Obstetrics. New York, Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1980, p 325Google Scholar
- 12.Bannes CG: Medical Disorders in Obstetric Practice. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1974, p 147Google Scholar