Cerebrospinal Fluid Amine Metabolites and Neuroendocrine Findings: Biochemical Markers in Suicide?
Some data indicate that suicidal behaviour in man may be associated with CNS biochemical alterations: the CSF concentration of 5HIAA has been found to be decreased in both suicidal1,2 and aggressive3 patients; MHPG was also correlated, although positively, with aggression4. In addition, dexamethasone nonsuppression occurred more frequently in suicidal patients5 and there was a significant correlation between CSF 5HIAA and postdexamethasone Cortisol.
KeywordsDepression Cortisol Schizophrenia Dexamethasone Tryptophan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.G.L.Brown, J.C.Ballenger, M.D.Minichiello, and F.K.Goodwin, Human aggression and its relationship to cerebrospinal fluid 5HIAA, MHPG and HVA, in: “Psychopharmacology of Aggression”, M.Sandler, ed., Raven, New York /1979/Google Scholar
- 5.B.J.Carroll, J.F.Greden, and M.Feinberg, Suicide, neuroendocrine dysfunction and CSF 5HIAA concentration in depression, in: “Recent Advances in Neuropsychopharmacology”, B.Angrist, ed., Pergamon, Oxford /1981/Google Scholar
- 8.M.Arató, C.M.Banki, Z.Papp, and Z.Kovacs, Neuroendocrine tests and CSF monoamine metabolites in depression /this volume/.Google Scholar
- 9.C.M.Banki, and M.Arato, Amine metabolites and neuroendocrine responses related to depression and suicide. J.Affect.Disord, /in press/Google Scholar
- 13.Van Praag H.M., “Depression and Schizophrenia, a Contribution on their Chemical Pathologies”, Spectrum, New York /1977/Google Scholar
- 15.E.Collu, Abnormal pituitary hormone response to thyrotropin- releasing hormone, an index of CNS dysfunction, in: “Clinical Neuroendocrinology,” G.Tolis, F.Labrie, J.B.Martin, F.Naftolin, eds., Raven, New York /1979/Google Scholar
- 16.B.Eichelman, The role of biogenic amines in aggressive behaviour, in: “Psychopharmacology of Aggression,” M.Sandler, ed., Raven, New York /1979/Google Scholar
- 17.M.Asberg, Clinical correlates of CSF monoamine metabolite disturbances. 4th Nobel Conference, Skokloster /1982/Google Scholar
- 19.L.Träskman, G.Tybring, M.Asberg, L.Bertilsson, O.Lantto, and D.Schalling, Cortisol in the CSF of depressed and suicidal patients. Arch.Gen.Psychiat. 37:761 /1981/Google Scholar