Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) has been used frequently for the determination of triazine herbicides and their N-dealkylated degradation products since these compounds are volatile, thermally stable, and easily separated on a variety of GC columns. Safe and Hutzinger(1) have reviewed mass spectral studies of triazine herbicides published prior to 1973. This chapter will focus on more recent applications of mass spectrometry to the analysis of triazine and triazinone herbicides (Table 1). The mass spectra of substituted s-triazines, a diverse group of industrial compounds(2) will not be discussed here. Porter and Baldas(3) have discussed the mass spectra of 1,3,5-s-triazines.
KeywordsBase Peak Cyanuric Acid Mass Spectral Analysis Dimethyl Ester Triazine Herbicide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Safe and O. Hutzinger, Mass Spectrometry of Pesticides and Pollutants, CRC Press, Cleveland, 1973, pp. 169–175.Google Scholar
- 3.Q. N. Porter and J. Baldas, Mass Spectrometry of Heterocyclic Compounds, Wiley-Inter- science, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Mestres, Ch. Chevallier, CI. Espinoza, and R. Cornet, Ann. Fab. Exp. Chim. 70, 177–188 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.L. H. Keith, A. W. Garrison, F. R. Allen, M. H. Carter, T. L. Floyd, J. D. Pope, and A. D. Thruston, Jr., in Identification and Analysis of Organic Pollutants in Water ( L. H. Keith, ed.), Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, MI, 1976, pp. 329–373.Google Scholar
- 20.Shell Development Corp., “Analytical Methods for Pesticides and Plant Growth Reg-ulators,” (G. Zweig and J. Sherma, eds. ), 1978, pp. 275–292.Google Scholar
- 21.C. T. Bedford, M. J. Crawford, and D. H. Hutson, Chemosphere 5, 311–316 (1975).Google Scholar
- 22.S. L. M. Skinner and R. Greenhalgh, Mass Spectra of Insecticides, Herbicides and Fungicides and Their Metabolites, Agriculture Canada, Chemistry and Biology Research Institute, Ottawa, 1977.Google Scholar
- 28.R. W. Reiser, I. J. Belasco, and R. C. Rhodes, Presented at American Society of Mass Spectrometry, Seattle, June, 1979.Google Scholar