Effect of interferons and an interferon inducer on malignant brain tumors
Three case reports of long-term administration of human fibroblast interferon-β (Hu IFN-β) and interferon inducer poly ICLC on malignant glioma patients were presented. Regression of the tumor was demonstrated in a case of anaplastic astrocytoma by intravenous administration of Hu IFN-β for more than two and half years. The suppressive effect of intratumoral administration in a glioblastoma patient was also presented. The effects of Hu IFN-β and recombinant IFN-α on glioblastoma multiforme, anaplastic astrocytoma and other gliomas were summarized. The suppressive effect and complications of intravenous administration of poly ICLC on malignant glioma were presented and discussed.
Keywordsinterferon interferon inducer poly ICLC glioma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Nagai M: Clinical trials of human fibrolast interferon (Hu IFN-β) on malignant brain tumors. J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 18: 60–68, 1983Google Scholar
- 7.Nakamura O, Takakura K, Kobayashi S: Effect of human interferon-β in the treatment of malignant brain tumors. UCLA Symp Molecular Cell Biol 24: 465–477, 1982Google Scholar
- 8.Nakamura O, Takakura K: Therapeutic effect of Hu-Interferon-β and interferon inducer (poly ICLC) in the malignant brain tumor. Tokyo J Med Sci 89: 137–146, 1982Google Scholar
- 12.Committee of Brain Tumor Registry in Japan: Brain Tumor Registry in Japan, pp 57–65, 1984Google Scholar
- 13.Cutler S: Computation of survival rate. NCI Monograph 15: 381–385, 1964Google Scholar
- 14.Taguchi T, Takakura K, Kimura K, Ohta K, Izumo M, Koyama Y, Niizima T, Ikeda S, Akaboshi Y: Clinical studies of recombinant leukocyte α-interferon (r-IFN-αA, Ro 22-8181). Kishida T (ed). Proc Intern Symp on Interferons, pp 173–180, 1983Google Scholar
- 15.Kimura K: Overview of phase II study of human lymphoblastoid interferon (HLBI) for solid tumor and blood cancer in Japan. Kishida T (ed). Proc Intern Sym on Interferons, pp 157–162, 1983Google Scholar
- 16.Feun L, Gutterman J, Quesada J, Stewart D, Leavens J, Burgess J, Benjamin R: Phase I study of interferon admin-istered via in dwelling Ommaya reservoir for the treatment of progressive malignant gliomas. Proc 13th Intern Cancer Cong, Seattle, Sept 8-15, No 93, p 172, 1982Google Scholar