Role of Shear in the Sintering of Composites
Recent theoretical work 1,2,3 has emphasized the importance of shear deformation in the sintering of composite ceramics. In this report, we will first review the important results obtained in one analysis.2 Next, an experimental technique will be described to give the key parameters necessary to compare the predicted and the actual densification behavior of composites. Finally, microstructural evidence is given of the processing defects generated in composites.
KeywordsComposite Powder Composite Ceramic Hoop Stress Radial Crack Densification Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. Raj and R.K. Bordia, Sintering Behavior of Bi–Modal Powder Compacts,. Actajfetall., 32 (7): 1003 (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.C.H. Hsueh, A.G. Evans, R.M. Cannon and R.J. Brook, Viscoelastic Stresses and Sintering Damage in Heterogeneous Powder Compacts, Acta Metall., to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.K.D. Reeve, Non-Uniform Shrinkage in Sintering, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 42 (8): 452 (1963).Google Scholar
- 6.T. Vasilos and W. Rhodes, Fine Particulates to Ultrafine-Grain Ceramics, in: “Ultrafine-Grain Ceramics,” J.J. Burke, N.L. Feed and V. Weiss, eds., Syracuse University Press, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- 8.F.F. Lange, B.I. Davis and I.A. Aksay, Processing-Related Fracture Origins: ITT, Differential Sintering of ZrO Agglomerates in Al203/Zr0? Composites, J. of Am. Ceram. Soc., 66 (6): 607 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.L.C. DeJonghe, M.N. Rahaman and C.H. Hseueh, Transient Stresses in Bimodal Compacts During Sintering, to be published.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Raj, Separation of Cavitation-Strain and Creep-Strain During Deformation, J. of Am. Ceram. Soc., 65 (3): C46 (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.E.A. Barringer and H.K. Bowen, Formation, Packing and Sintering of Monodisperse Ti0? Powders, J. of Am. Ceram. Soc., 65: C199 (1982).Google Scholar
- 14.R.K. Bordia, Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 15.R.F.. Bordia and R. Raj, Sintering of a Composite with a Glass or a Ceramic Matrix: An Analysis, J. of Am. Ceram. Soc., in press.Google Scholar