Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering in Benzene and Nitromethane Shock-Compressed to 11 GPA
The shock-compression induced frequency shifts of the ring-stretching mode of liquid benzene and the CN-stretching mode of liquid nitromethane have been measured using coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS). Shock pressures up to 11 GPa were achieved using a two-stage light gas gun. The frequency shifted CARS signals were generated using single-pulse Nd:YAG and broadband dye lasers. Where possible, the results of the dynamic experiments were compared to other dynamic high pressure experiments.
KeywordsShock Wave Shock Pressure Wavelength Calibration Target Assembly Liquid Benzene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S. C. Schmidt, D. S. Moore, and J. W. Shaner, in Shock Waves in Condensed Matter — 1983. J. R. Asay, R. A. Graham, and G. K. Straub, eds. ( Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., 1984 ), p. 293.Google Scholar
- 4.D. S. Moore, S. C. Schmidt, D. Schiferl, and J. W. Shaner, in High Pressure in Science and Technology. Part II, C. Homan, R. K. MacCrone and E. Whalley, eds. ( North Holland, New York, 1984 ), p. 87.Google Scholar
- 5.D. S. Moore, S. C. Schmidt, D. Schiferl, and J. W. Shaner, in Los Alamos Conference on Optics 83, R. S. McDowell and S. C. Stotlar, eds. (Proceedings SPIE Volume 380, 1983 ), p. 208.Google Scholar
- 6.M. H. Rice, R. G. McQueen, and J. H. Walsh, in Solid State Physics: Advances in Research and Applications. F. Sietz and D. Turnbull, eds. ( Academic Press, New York, 1958 ), Vol. 6, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 7.S. P. Marsh, “LASL Shock Hugoniot Data,” ( University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, 1980 ).Google Scholar
- 8.J. N. Fritz, in preparation for publication.Google Scholar
- 12.O. B. Yakusheva, V. V. Yakushev and A. N. Dremin, High Temp.-High Pres. 3, 261 (1971).Google Scholar
- 14.A. Delpuech and A. Menil, in Shock Waves in Condensed Matter — 1983, J. R. Asay, R. A. Graham, and G. K. Straub, eds. ( Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., 1984 )Google Scholar