Teaching Thermodynamics to First Year Engineers
The paper is based on lectures given to the combined first year engineer class at the University of Hong Kong in the years 1971–1973. In a rational presentation of thermodynamics, concepts of heat and temperature are consequent upon, and not preliminary to the Second Law. In the present paper, the Laws of Thermodynamics are presented as the conservation of energy and the non-decrease of entropy of isolated systems.
KeywordsIsolate System Rigid Body Motion Entropy Function Deformable Body Kinetic Equilibrium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hatsopoulos, G. N. and Keenan, J. H., “General Thermo-dynamics”, Wiley, 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.Mach, E. “Conservation of Energy,” Open Court, 1911.Google Scholar
- 3.Clausius, R. “Mechanical Theory of Heat”, Macmillan, 1879.Google Scholar
- 5.Gurney, C. A fuller version of this paper 1984 (available on request).Google Scholar
- 6.Prigogine, I. “Thermodynamics of Irreversible Process”, 3rd ed. Wiley, 1967.Google Scholar
- 7.Gibbs, J. W. “Collected Works 1”, 56, Longmans Green, 1928.Google Scholar