Oligodendrocyte Development: Immunological Studies
Oligodendrocytes are responsible for myelination of axons in the vertebrate central nervous system (CNS). These cells are thought to originate from a precursor cell, glioblast, that gives rise to both oligodendrocytes and astrocytes (Schaper, 1897). More recent studies by Raff and coworkers (Raff et al., 1983a and b, 1984) with dissociated cultures of rat optic nerve have shown that both oligodendrocytes and type-2 astrocytes are derived from a common precursor cell, distinct from the more common type-1 astrocyte. Furthermore the differentiation of this precursor cell into oligodendrocytes or type-2 astrocytes can be influenced by components in the cell culture environment (Raff et al., 1983b).
KeywordsFormaldehyde Compaction Myeloma Para Formaldehyde Sorting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Collins, J.M. (1983) Monoclonal antibodies to cerebellar antigens. P thesis, University of Colorado Medical School, DenverGoogle Scholar
- Norton, W.T. (1983) Recent advances in the neurobiology of oligodendroglia. In: Fedoroff, S., and Hertz, L. (eds.) Advances in cellular neurobiology IV. New York: Academic Press, pp. 3–56.Google Scholar
- Quarles, R.H., Barbarash, G., Figlewicz, D., and Mclntyre, L. (1983) Purification and partial characterization of the myelin associate glycoprotein from adult rat brain. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 75:140–143.Google Scholar
- Raff, M.C., and Miller, R.H. (1984) Glial cell development in rat optic nerve. TINS 469–472.Google Scholar
- Schachner, M., and Willinger, M. (1979) Developmental expression of oligodendrocyte-specific cell surface markers: nervous system antigen NS-1, cerebroside and myelin basic protein. In: The Menarini series of immunopathology, vol. 2. Basel: Schwabe, pp. 37–60.Google Scholar
- Schaper, A. (1897) The earliest differentiation in the central nervous system of vertebrates. Science 5:430–431.Google Scholar
- Seeds, N.W. (1973) Differentiation of aggregating brain cell cultures. In: Sato, G. (ed.) Tissue culture of the nervous system. New York: Plenum, pp. 35–53.Google Scholar
- Seeds, N.W. (1983) Neuronal differentiation in reaggregate cell cultures. In: Fedoroff, S., and Hertz, L. (eds.) Advance in cellular neurobiology 4. New York: Academic Press, pp. 57–79.Google Scholar