Adaptive Thresholding and Automatic Detection
The requirement for radar systems that can detect the presence of targets within background environments that are more complex and less known than thermal noise and maintain a controlled false alarm rate leads to increased emphasis on adaptive threshold automatic detection circuits. Systems that use automatic detection circuits to maintain, ideally, a constant false alarm rate by generating estimates of the receiver output when targets (of interest) are not present are called constant false alarm rate (CFAR) systems.
KeywordsFalse Alarm Automatic Detection False Alarm Probability Constant False Alarm Rate Adaptive THRESHOLDING
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. Curtis Schleher, Automatic Detection and Radar Data Processing, Artech House, Dedham, Mass., 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.R. S. Finn, and R. S. Johnson, “Adaptive Detection Mode with Threshold Control as a Function of Spatially Sampled Clutter Level Estimates,” RCA Review, vol. 29, no. 3, September 1968, pp. 414–464.Google Scholar
- 6.Peter Swerling, “The ‘Double Threshold’ Method of Detection,” RM-1008, Rand Corp., Santa Monica, CA., December 17, 1952.Google Scholar
- 8.L. E. Vogel, “An Examination of Radar Signal Processing via Non-Parametric Techniques,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Radar Conference, April 1975, pp. 533–537.Google Scholar
- 11.W. S. Reid, et al, “Techniques for Clutter False Alarm Control in Automated Radar Detection Systems,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Radar Conference, April 1975, pp. 294–299.Google Scholar
- 14.R. M. Barnes, et al., “ARTS Enhancement Support Program Multisensor System Study,” MSD-F-183, John Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Baltimore, January 31, 1973.Google Scholar
- 18.T. P. Kabaservice, and S. M. Newman, “Recent Technical Developments in Ground-Based Air Surveillance Radar Systems,” Proceedings of Military Microwaves ’80, October 1980, pp. 683–700.Google Scholar
- 19.M. I. Skolnik, Introduction to Radar Systems, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1962.Google Scholar