Dilute Fermi Liquid of Heavy Polarons in Copper Oxide Superconductors
In this paper we point out that a large body of data on the newly discovered copper oxide superconductors points to the existence in these materials of a new type of dilute fermi liquid composed of heavy polarons, which we believe acquire their mass magnetically. Each polaron is a hole doped into the host material, a Mott insulator, self-trapped in a well, much the way a hole added to an alkali halide is trapped. The polaron is mobile, has a mass m* of approximately 6 electron masses, and has ail ionization energy, an upper limit on its binding energy, of approximately 0.15 eV. The fermi energy of the polaron liquid in La2-xSrxCuO4 with x = 0.15 is roughly 80 meV. The smallness of this energy is unprecedented in the phenomenology of superconductivity and is probably the key to understanding these materials.
KeywordsVortex Soliton Parkin Halide Polyacetylene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The most recent reference on this subject is P.M. Grant, S.S.P. Parkin, V.Y.Lee, E.M. Engler, M.L. Ramirez, J.E.Vazquez, G. Lim, R.D. Jacowitz, and R.L. Greene, Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 2482 (1987). The superconductivity discussed in this paper is due to deviations from perfect stoichiometry.Google Scholar
- 3.B.H. Brandow, Adv. Phys. 26, 651 (1977); N.F. Mott, Proc. Roy. Soc., London, A62, 416 (1949).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Orenstein, G.A. Thomas, D.H. Rapkine, C.G. Bethea, B.F. Levine, R.J. Cava, E.A. Rietman, and D.W. Johnson, Jr., (preprint).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Tajima, S. Uchida, S. Tanaka, S. Kanbe, K. Kitizawa, and K. Kueku, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 26, (1987).Google Scholar
- 7.S.L. Herr, K. Kamaras, C.D. Porter, M.G.Doss, D.B. Turner, D. A. Bonn, J.E.Greedon, C.V. Stager, and T. Timusk, (preprint).Google Scholar
- 10.G.A. Thomas, private communication.Google Scholar
- 12.B. Renker, F. Gompf, E. Gering, N. Nucker, D. Ewert, W. Reichardt, and H. Rietschel, (preprint).Google Scholar
- 22.R.C. Dynes and W.J. Gallagher, private communication.Google Scholar