Application of the Ohmeda Biox 3700 Pulse Oximeter to Neonatal Oxygen Monitoring
Recently, pulse oximeters have been introduced into nurseries to monitor clinical blood oxygenation. Pulse oximeters measure the oxygen saturation of hemoglobin in pulsed (“arterial”) blood flow. Blood oxygen saturation provides a direct measure of blood oxygenation. However, this measure is variably related to the traditional measure of blood partial pressure of oxygen (PO2) and is affected by factors (e.g., hemoglobin concentration and hemoglobin-oxygen affinity) that may not alter PO2. Therefore, this discussion is written to review principles of blood oxygen transport and to demonstrate from data collected in newborn infants, relationships between pulse oxygen saturation (SpO2) blood oxygen saturation (SaO2) and blood PO2 in a variety of clinical conditions.
KeywordsToxicity Catheter Anemia Nipple Diphosphoglycerate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Davenport, H. The ABC of Acid-Base Chemistry. Sixth Edition. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.Benesch, R.E., Benesch, R. The Reaction Between Diphosphoglycerate and Hemoglobin. Fed. Proc. 29:1101–1104, 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.Orzalesi, M.M., Hay, W.W., Jr. The Regulation of Oxygen Affinity of Fetal Blood. I. In Vitro Experiments and Results in Normal Infants. Pediatr. 48:857–864, 1971.Google Scholar
- 5.Meschia, G., Battaglia, F.C., Makowski, E.L., Droegenmueller, W. Effect of Varying Umbilical Blood O2 Affinity on Umbilical Vein PO2. J. Appl. Physiol. 26:410–416, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Peeters, L.L.H., Sheldon, R.E., Jones, M.D., Jr., Makowski, E.L., Meschia, G. Blood Flow to Fetal Organs as a Function of Arterial Content. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 135:637–646, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.Sheldon, R., Peeters, L.L.H., Jones, M.D., Jr., Makowski, E.L., Meschia, G. Redistribution of Cardiac Output and Oxygen Delivery in the Hypoxemic Fetal Lamb. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 135:1071–1078, 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.Fishman, A.P. Respiratory Gases in the Regulation of the Pulmonary Circulation. Physiol. Rev. 41–241, 1961.Google Scholar
- 12.Lucey, J.F., Dangman, B. A reexamination of the Role of Oxygen in Retrolental Fibroplasia. Pediatr. 73:82–96, 1984.Google Scholar