Introduction to Exclusive Processes in Perturbative QCD
Every physics student by now knows that QCD  is the theory of strong interactions and that it is asymptotically free. It is also well known that the theory explains jets behaviour, massive lepton pair production in hadronic collisions, e e total cross section data, deep inelastic phenomena and many other processes, justifying the successes of the parton model and furthermore quantitatively explaining the differences between parton model predictions and experimental results. It is also usually familiar that confinement, while still not completely under control, seems to be supported by numerical experiments on the lattice. Less widely known are the difficulties the theory encounters in trying to connect the parton level phenomena to the hadrons detected in the final state.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [1a]C.T.C. Sachrajda in M.K. Gaillard and R. Stora eds, “Gauge Theories in High Energy Physics”, North-Holland, (1983).Google Scholar
- [5b]S.J. Brodsky, G.P. Lepage, T. Huang and P.B. MacKenzie in “Particles and Fields”, edited by A.Z. Capri and A.N. Kamal, Plenum, (1983), 83.Google Scholar
- [5c]S.J. Brodsky, G.P. Lepage and T. Huang, ibidem, 143 and references therein.Google Scholar
- J. Weyers, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- E. Maina, G.R. Farrar, University of Torino preprint, IFTT-85/4, (1985).Google Scholar
- [18a]E. Maina, Ph.D. Thesis, Rutgers U., (1984), unpublished.Google Scholar
- G.R. Farrar, Proceedings of the VIth International Workshop on PhotonPhoton collisions, Lake Tahoe, CA, September 10–13, 1984 and Rutgers Univ. preprint RU-84-19.Google Scholar
- [21a]MARK II Collaboration, G. Gidal, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory preprint, LBL-19992, (1985).Google Scholar
- TASSO Collaboration, R. Brandelik et al., Phys. Lett., 97B, (1980), 448Google Scholar
- [22b]MARK II Collaboration, D.L. Burke et al., Phys. Lett., 100B, (1981), 153.Google Scholar
- [22c]CELLO Collaboration, H.J. Behrend et al., Z. Phys., C21, (1984), 205. PEP4/PEP9 Collaboration, J.G. Layter et al., Contribution to Leipzig Conf. on High Energy Phys., July 1984.Google Scholar
- J.F. Gunion, private communication to G.R. Farrar.Google Scholar
- TASSO Collaboration , M. Althoff et al., DESY preprint 84–015.Google Scholar