The Superconductor-Semiconductor Transition in Cation-Substituted Lithium Titanate, Li[Mx Ti2–x]O4:M = Li+, Al3+ and Cr3+
Professor Fritzsche’s research, encompassing more than three decades of beautiful experimental work combined with elegant and incisive writing, has centred primarily around two major themes; one old, one (perhaps) new, but both interwoven. The first is his interest and involvement in the study of the Metal-Semiconductor Transition; the second concerns the structural and electronic properties of disordered materials. In this dedication, we outline a further subtlety (or complexity) into these major problems in condensed matter chemistry and physics; namely the possible nature of the composition induced transition from Superconductor to Semiconductor in a system with obvious crystalline order — in association with equally obvious electronic disorder. As far as we are aware Professor Fritzsche has not, so far, ventured into the area of Superconductor-Semiconductor Transitions. We offer the present meagre contribution in the hope of 1 pressing his considerable talents into the study of yet another class 2 of remarkable transmutations!
KeywordsSuperconducting Transition Temperature Vibrational Absorption Lithium Titanate Percolation Limit Atomic Form Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J.B. Goodenough in “Progress in Solid State Chemistry”, Vol.5, H. Reiss, Ed. (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1971), p.145.Google Scholar
- 8.D.C. Johnston, PhD Thesis, University of California, San Diego (1975).Google Scholar
- 9.M.R. Harrison, D.Phil. Thesis, Oxford University (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.M.R. Harrison, P.P. Edwards and J.B. Goodenough, Phil. Mag., B52, 679 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.P.M. Lambert, PhD Thesis, Cornell University, (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.D.C. Johnson, PhD Thesis, Cornell University (1983).Google Scholar
- 15.M.B. Maple, in “Magnetism”, Vol.V., Academic Press, New York, p.289 (1973).Google Scholar
- 17.N.F. Mott in “The Metal-Non Metal Transition in Disordered Systems”, ed. L.R. Friedman and D.P. Tunstall, Scottish Universities Summer School in Physics, 1978, p.149.Google Scholar
- 18.H. Fritzsche in “The Metal-Non Metal Transition in Disordered Systems”, ed. L.R. Friedman and D.P. Tunstall, Scottish Universities Summer School in Physics, 1978, p.193.Google Scholar
- 22.P.M. Lambert, M.R. Harrison, D.E. Logan and P.P. Edwards, to be submitted.Google Scholar
- 23.P.M. Lambert, D.A. Jefferson and P.P. Edwards, unpublished work.Google Scholar
- 27.N.W. Ashcroft and N.D. Mermin, “Solid State Physics”, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, p.661, 1976.Google Scholar