The Role of Diet in the Etiology and Causation of Breast Cancer
Common diseases have common causes. Since 1 out of 10 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime, the disease must have a common cause. In investigating the etiology of breast cancer, we need to determine the relative contribution made by such generally established risk factors as age of first pregnancy, late menopause, nulliparity, family history, and less well established risk factors as obesity, long-term lactation and fibrocystic disease. We believe that these risk factors cannot explain the reported differences in incidence between the United States and Japan, countries with major differences in the rates of pre- and particularly postmenopausal breast cancer. If these factors account for only a portion of the observed differences, then we need to examine other variables, that are both common and could account, at least in part, for these differences. One such factor is likely to be the consumption of dietary fat.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Breast Cancer Patient Breast Cancer Risk Established Risk Factor Postmenopausal Breast Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tannenbaum, A. Cancer Res. 2:468–475, 1942.Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen, L.A., Thompson, D.O., Maeura, Y., Choi, K., Blank, M.E., and Rose, D.P. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 77:33–42, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.Hopkins, G.J., Hard, C.G. and West, C.E. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 60:849–853, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Karmali, R.A., Marsh, J., and Fuchs, C. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 73:457–461, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.Waxier, S.H., Brecher, G., and Beal, S.L. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 162:365–369, 1979.Google Scholar
- 17.Tannenbaum, A. Cancer Res. 2:460–467, 1942.Google Scholar
- 18.Ross, M.H. and Bras, G. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 47:1095–1099, 1971.Google Scholar
- 19.Cohen, L.A. 78th Annual meeting, AARC. Atlanta, Ga., May 21–25, 1987.Google Scholar
- 22.Cohen, L.A. Dietary fat and mammary cancer. In: Diet, Nutrition and cancer: A critical evaluation, vol. I. Macronutrients and cancer. (Eds. B.S. Reddy and L.A. Cohen), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1986, pp. 77–100.Google Scholar
- 27.Tanaka, T., Barnes, W.S., Weisburger, J.W. and Williams, G.M. Jap. J.Cancer Res. (Gann) 76:570–576, 1985.Google Scholar
- 31.Sakamoto, G., Sugano, H., and Hartman, W.H. Jpn. J. Cancer Clin. 25:161–170, 1979.Google Scholar