Clinical Evaluation of Taurine in Congestive Heart Failure—A Double-Blind Comparative Study Using CoQ10 as a Control Drug
Congestive heart failure is a clinical syndrome characterized by symptoms of dyspnea, fatigue, and edema that most commonly result from pathophysiological events following a severe insult to the left ventricle. In recent years, a new therapeutic approach based on the pathophysiology of congestive heart failure has been established. A single agent or combination therapy with cardiac glycosides and diuretics has proven to be effective in the treatment of congestive heart failure. However, in cases of refractory cardiac failure that resist these conventional drugs, vasodilators, sympathomimetics, and myocardial metabolism activators are used in combination therapy.
KeywordsPlacebo Fatigue Depression Ischemia Dopamine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Katz AM 1986. Potential deleterious effects of inotropic agents in the therapy of chronic heart failure. Circulation 73:184–190.Google Scholar
- 3.Huxtable R, 1976. Metabolism and function of taurine in the heart. In Taurine, Huxtable R, Barbeau A, eds. New York: Raven Press, pp 99–120.Google Scholar
- 9.Hamaguchi T, Azuma J, Awata N, Ohta H, Takihara H, Harada H, Kishimoto S, Sperelakis N. Reduction of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in mice by taurine. 1988. Res Commun Chem Path Pharmacol 59:21–30.Google Scholar
- 10.Azuma J, Hamaguchi T, Ohta H, Takihara K, Awata N, Sawamura A, Harada H, Tanaka Y, Kishimoto S. 1987. Calcium overload-induced myocardial damage caused by isoproterenol and by adriamycin: Possible role of taurine in its prevention. In The biology of taurine, Huxtable RJ, Franconi F, Giotti A, eds. New York: Plenum Press, pp 167–179.Google Scholar
- 12.Harada H, Cusack B, Olson B, Stroo W, Azuma J, Hamaguchi T, Schaffer SW. Role for intracellular taurine pool in the Adriamycin-stressed myocardium. Biochem Pharmacol, in press.Google Scholar
- 14.Dolara P, Ledda F, Mugelli A, Mantelli L, Zilletti L, Franconi F, Giotti A. 1978. Effect of taurine on calcium, inotropism, and electrical activity of the heart. In Taurine and neurological disorders, Barbeau A, Huxtable RJ eds. New York: Raven Press, pp 151–159.Google Scholar
- 18.Azuma J, Hasegawa H, Awata N, Sawamura A, Harada H, Ogura K, Yamauchi K, Kishimoto S. 1983. Taurine for treatment of congestive heart failure in humans. In Sulfur amino acids: Biochemical and clinical aspects, Kuriyama K, Huxtable RJ; Iwata H eds. New York: Alan R. Liss, pp 61–72.Google Scholar
- 19.Azuma J, Sawamura A, Awata N, Hasegawa H, Ogura K, Harada H, Ohta H, Yamauchi K, Kishimoto S, Yamagami T, Ueda E, Ishiyama T. 1983. Double-blind randomized crossover trial of taurine in congestive heart failure. Current Ther Res 34:543–553.Google Scholar
- 21.Criteria Committee of the New York Heart Association. 1973. In Nomenclature and criteria for diagnosis of disease of the heart and blood vessels, 7th ed. Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- 27.Franconi F, Giotti A, Manzini S, Martini F, Stendardi I, Zilletti L. 1982. Observations on the action of taurine at arterial and cardiac levels. In Taurine in nutrition and neurology, Huxtable R, Pasantes-Morales H, eds. New York: Plenum Press, pp. 181–190.Google Scholar