The Role of Membrane-Stabilizing Drugs on Uptake of Leishmania Parasites by Human Macrophages
More than 12 million people are infected with different species of Leishmania and the annual death toll due to leishmaniasis is over 5000. Treatment of the patients with different forms of leishmaniasis is still a serious problem. Pentavalent antimonials in conventional doses are ineffective against visceral leishmaniasis and at higher doses toxic. The usual second line drugs such as pentamidine and amphotericin B are also toxic and difficult to administer. There is therefore a great need to search for drugs that are safe and can ef¬fectively control the disease.
KeywordsThymidine Tricyclic Uracil Vibrio Chloroquine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kristiansen JE, Gaarslev K (1985) The antibacterial effect of selected neuroleptics on Vibrio cholerae. Acta Path. Microbiol. Immunol. Scand. Sect. B. 93: 49–51.Google Scholar
- Kristiansen JE, Jepsen S (1985) The susceptibility of Plasmodium fal-ciparum in vitro to chlorpromazine and the stereo-isomeric compounds cis(Z)-and trans(E)-clopenthixol. Acta Path. Microbiol. Im-munol. Scand. Sect. B. 93: 249–251.Google Scholar
- Pearson RD, Brand JJ, Roberts D, Hewlett EL (1987) Antiprotozoal effects of thioxanthenes against the human pathogen Leishmania donovani. Experientia. In press.Google Scholar
- Petersen PV, Nielsen IM, Pedersen V, Jørgensen A, Lassen N (1977) Thioxanthenes in: Psychotherapeutic drugs, ed. E. Udsin & I. Forrest. Marcel Dekker. New York. P. 827–867.Google Scholar
- Rechnitzer C., Kristiansen JE, Kharazmi A (1985) In vitro modulation of human neutrophil Chemotaxis by cis(Z) -and trans (E)-clopenthixol and chlorpromazine. Acta Pathol. Micro¬biol. Immunol. Sec. C. 93: 199–203.Google Scholar
- Smith RJ, Bowmann BJ, Iden SL (1981). Effects of trifluoperazine on human neutrophil function. Immunol. 44: 677–684.Google Scholar
- Trouet A, Tulkens P, Schneider YJ (1980). Subcellular localization of infectious agents: Pharmacological and pharmacokinetic impli¬cations. In: The Host Invader Interplay, ed. Van den Bossche, North Hollan H. p. 31–44.Google Scholar