Photosensitizer-Enhanced Laser Angioplasty
The treatment of atherosclerotic vascular disease using laser light holds enormous appeal because of the potential for removal of all or a large part of the atherosclerotic material. This would be a significant advantage over currently available techniques, such as coronary bypass surgery or balloon dilatation, in which the plaque remains within the vascular space. Laser angioplasty, therefore, holds promise for a more effective and substantially longer lasting therapeutic benefit.
KeywordsPermeability Catheter Adenosine Fluore Carotenoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Isner JM, Donaldson RJ, Funai JT, Deckelbaum LI, et al. (1985). Factors contributing to perforations resulting from laser coronary angioplasty: Observations in an intact human postmortem preparation of intraoperative laser coronary angioplasty. Circulation72 (11): 191–199.Google Scholar
- 10.Blankenhorn DH (I960). The infiltration of carotenoids into human atheromas and xanthomas. Ann Int Med53: 944–954.Google Scholar
- 14.Dougherty TJ (1984). The structure of the active component of hematoporphyrin derivative. In Porphyrin Localization and Treatment of Tumors, DR Doiron, CJ Gomer, eds. New York: Alan R Liss, pp. 301–314.Google Scholar
- 15.Weishaupt KR, Gomer CJ, Dougherty TJ (1976). Identification of singlet oxygen as the cytotoxic agent in photo-inactivation of a murine tumor. Cancer Res 36:2326–2329.Google Scholar
- 20.Straight RC, Vincent GM, Hammond EH, Dixon JA (1985). Porphyrin retention and photodynamic treatment of diet–induced atherosclerotic lesions in pigs. In Photodynamic Therpay of Tumors and Other Diseases. G Jori, C Perria, eds. Padova, Italy: Liberia Progetto, pp 350–352.Google Scholar
- 29.Johnson MD, Fox JB, Vincent GM, Hammond EM (1988). In vitro removal of photosensitized rabbit atherosclerotic plaque by dye laser irradiation. Proceedings of Sixth International Congress on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics. Technical Digest, November, 1987.Google Scholar
- 30.Pollock ME, Eugene J, Hammer-Wilson M, Berns MW (1987). Photosensitization of experimental atheromas by porphyrins. J Am Coll Cardiol 6: 639–646.Google Scholar
- 31.Abela GS, Barbieri E, Roxey T, Conti CR (1986). Laser Enhanced Plaque atherolysis with Tetracycline (abstr). Circulation 74 (Suppl II): II–7.Google Scholar