Radio Link Protocols for Cellular Data
compatibility with existing land-line standards and systems,
cellular physical layer standards optimized for voice,
market demands for quick solutions.
In this paper we focus on radio link layer design and discuss how these constraints helped determine the protocols that have been standardized. We summarize the design, architecture and requirements for cellular circuit-mode and packet-mode data. We describe several design tradeoffs including a comparison of one level versus two level recovery mechanisms and provide performance comparisons. We also discuss the performance impact of several design choices.
KeywordsMobile Host Link Layer Frame Error Rate Recovery Protocol Round Trip Delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Stallings, Data and Computer Communications, 3rd ed., New York: Macmillan, 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.P.T. Brady, “Performance analysis of multireject, selective reject, and other protocol enhancements,” IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. COM-35, no. 2, pp. 127–135, June 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Data Services Task Group, (TR18.104.22.168), TIA (Telecommunications Industry Association), Working Papers, Jan-Jun, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.Telecommunications Industry Association, TDMA Radio Interface: Radio Link Protocol 1, V&V Draft, August 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Data Services Task Group, (TR22.214.171.124), TIA (Telecommunications Industry Association), Working Papers, Jan-Jun, 1994. Also, CDMA Development Group, Data Services Task Group, Working Papers, May-Jun, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.Telecommunications Industry Association, Data Services Option Standard for Wideband Spread Spectrum Digital Cellular System, IS-99, V&V Draft, September 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Karn, “The Qualcomm CDMA digital cellular system,” available from ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/pub/cdma.
- 9.Van Jacobson, “Compressing TCP/IP headers for low-speed serial links,” IETF, RFC 1144.Google Scholar
- 10.A. DeSimone and S. Nanda, “Wireless Data: Systems, Standards, Applications,” to appear in Wireless Networks, special issue 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.B.T. Doshi and P.K. John, “Communication protocols for high speed packet networks,” Computer Networks ISDN Systems, no. 24, pp. 243–273, 1992.Google Scholar
- 12.B.T. Doshi, S. Dravida and S. Nanda, “Historical Perspective on High Performance Selective Retransmission Protocols,” in preparation.Google Scholar
- 13.Telecommunications Industry Association, Cellular System Dual-Mode Mobile Station — Base Station Compatibility Standard, IS-54-B, April 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.Telecommunications Industry Association, Mobile Station — Base Station Compatibility Standard for Dual-Mode Wideband Spread Spectrum Cellular System, IS-95-A, Ballot Version.Google Scholar
- 15.Telecommunications Industry Association, Cellular Radio-Telecommunications Inter system Operations, IS-41.Google Scholar