Screening in developing countries: problems and opportunities
Cancer is rapidly becoming an important cause of morbidity and mortality in most developing countries. Indeed, given the population size and shifting demographics in the world, more cancers already occur in developing than developed countries .
KeywordsBreast Cancer Cervical Cancer Oral Cancer Breast Cancer Screening Train Health Worker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.World Health Organization. 1995. National Cancer Control Programmes. Policies and Managerial Guidelines. Geneva: World Health Organization.Google Scholar
- 5.Stjernsward J, Eddy D, Luthra U, Stanley K. 1987. Plotting a new course for cervical cancer screening in developing countries. World Health Forum 8:42–45.Google Scholar
- 6.World Health Organization. 1984. Control of oral cancer in developing countries. Bull WHO 62:817–830.Google Scholar
- 7.Bassett AA. 1985. Physical examination of the breast and breast self-examination. In Miller AB (ed.), Screening for Cancer. Orlando, FL, Academic Press, pp. 271–291.Google Scholar
- 9.IARC Working Group. 1986. Summary chapter. In Hakama M, Miller AB, Day NE (eds.), Screening for Cancer of the Uterine Cervix (IARC Scientific Publications no. 76). Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, pp. 133–144.Google Scholar
- 10.World Health Organization. 1986. Control of cancer of the cervix uteri. Bull WHO 64:607–618.Google Scholar
- 11.Miller AB, Tsechkovski M. 1987. Imaging technologies in breast cancer control: summary of a report of a World Health Organization meeting. Am J Roentgenol 148:1093–1094.Google Scholar
- 17.Semiglazov VF, Sagaidack VN, Moiseyenko VM, et al. 1994. Study of the role of breast self-examination in the reduction of mortality from breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 29A:2039–2046.Google Scholar
- 18.Miller AB, Baines CJ, To T, et al. 1992. The Canadian National Breast Screening Study: breast cancer detection and mortality in women age 50–59 on entry. Can Med Assoc J 147:1477–1488.Google Scholar
- 19.Shapiro S, Venet W, Strax P, Venet L. 1988. Periodic Screening for Breast Cancer. The Health Insurance Plan Project and its Sequelae, 1963–1986. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar