Electronic Structure of Laterally Restricted Systems
This lecture* is intended to describe some of the structures being built to achieve quasi-one-dimensional behavior of electrons in semiconductors and some of the methods being used to calculate energy levels and charge densities for such structures. No attempt is made to describe the growing body of theoretical and experimental work on optical and transport properties. A basic knowledge of heterostructure physics, as presented in other lectures in this volume, is presupposed.
KeywordsEffective Mass Approximation Lateral Confinement Calculate Energy Level Geometrical Confinement Voltage Increment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.M. Frei, D. C. Tsui and G. Weimann, Gate-controlled one-dimensional transport in high-mobility GaAs/AlGaAs heterostructures, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 32:889 (1987).Google Scholar
- 21.P. F. Maldague, One-dimensional behavior in narrow-gate silicon MOS devices, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 26:787 (1981).Google Scholar
- 22.A. Ya. Shik, Calculations relating to a semiconductor structure with a quasione-dimensional electron gas, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 19:1488 (1985) [Sov. Phys. Semicond. 19:915 (1985)].Google Scholar
- 25.J. A. Brum, G. Bastard, L. L. Chang and L. Esaki, Energy levels in some quasi uni-dimensional semiconductor heterostructures, in: “Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors,” Vol. 1, p. 396, World Scientific, Singapore (1987).Google Scholar
- 28.S. E. Laux and A. C. Warren, Self-consistent calculation of electron states in narrow channels, Technical Digest of International Electron Devices Meeting, Los Angeles, December, 1986, p. 567.Google Scholar
- 29.S. E. Laux, Numerical methods for calculating self-consistent solutions of electrons states in narrow channels, NASECODE V: The Fifth International Conference on the Numerical Analysis of Semiconductor Devices and Integrated Circuits, Dublin, June, 1987 (to be published by Boole Press, Dublin).Google Scholar
- 30.S. E. Laux, D. J. Frank and F. Stern, Quasi-one-dimensional electron states in a split-gate GaAs-AlGaAs heterostructure, Seventh International Conference on Electronic Properties of Two-Dimen-sional Systems, Santa Fe, July, 1987 (to be published in Surf.Sci.).Google Scholar