Regulation of Drosophila Chorion Gene Amplification
The ability of animal and plant chromosomes to faithfully reduplicate remains poorly understood. In contrast, bacterial and viral chromosome replication has been elucidated in detail. DNA replication in these systems initiates at specific origin sequences following the binding of proteins that facilitate assembly of an active complex of replication enzymes. RNA transcripts produced at or near the origin sometimes also participate in controlling replicon initiation. Today, the question of whether similar control mechanisms govern the replication of chromosomes in higher organisms represents one of the most important issues in eukaryotic chromosome research.
KeywordsMyeloma Kelly Papilloma Dihydrofolate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Delidakis, C., Kafatos, F.C., 1987, Amplification of a chorion gene cluster in Drosophila is subject to multiple cis- regulatory elements and to long range position effects, J Mol. Biol., in press.Google Scholar
- Hammond, M.P., Laird, C.D. 1985, Chromosome structure and DNA replication in nurse and follicle cells of Drosophila melanogaster, Chromosoma, 91: 279–86.Google Scholar
- Harland, R., and Laskey, R.A., 1980, Regulated replication of DNA microinjected into eggs of X. laevis, Cell, 21: 761–71Google Scholar
- Kalfayan, L., Levine, J., Orr-Weaver, T., Parks, S., Wakimoto, B., de Cicco, D., and Spradling, A., 1986, Localization of sequences regulating Drosophila chorion gene amplification and expression, Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol., 50: 527–535.Google Scholar
- Mahowald, A.P. and Kambysellis, M.P., 1980, Oogenesis, in: “The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila,” M. Ashburner and T.R.F. Wright, eds., Academic Press, New York, pp. 141– 224.Google Scholar
- Margaritis, L.H., 1985, Structure and physiology of the eggshell, in: “Comphrensive insect physiology, biochemistry and pharmacology,” vol. 1., G.A. Kerkut and L.I. Gilbert, eds., Pergamon Press: Elmsford, pp. 113–151.Google Scholar
- Spradling, A. and Orr-Weaver, T., 1987, Regulation of DNA replication during Drosophila development, Ann. Rev Genetics., 21:in press.Google Scholar
- Tyndall, C., LaMantia, G., Thacker, C.M. Favalora, J. and Kamen, R., 1981, A region of the Polyomavirus genome between the replication origin and late protein coding sequences is required in cis for both early gene expression and viral DNA replication, Nucl. Acids. Res., 9: 6231–50.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wakimoto, B., Kalfayan, L., Levine, J., and Spradling, A., 1986, Localization of region controlling Drosophila chorion gene expression, in: “44th Symposium of the Society for Developmental Biology,” J. Gall, ed., A.R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp 43–54.Google Scholar