Using Databases to Automate System Development
This paper derives from work carried out as part of the Alvey supported Aspect project. The project brings together a number of organisations with a common interest in integrated project support environments (IPSEs), and allows research and development into various realms of IPSE development and use. One of these realms involves the application of databases to the problems of software development: managing the large and complex collection of data objects that arise during the development of large and complex software systems.
We describe an abstract formalism that we have adopted as a means of absorbing the complexity of data modelling in an IPSE, illustrate the application of the formalism by means of a simple example and summarise the software support that is necessary.
KeywordsEntity Type Relational Database System Version Control System Predicate Part Aspect Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BOER85]Boerstra (ed.), M.L., Engineering Databases, Elsevier, Association for Applications in Engineering, Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (1985).Google Scholar
- [BROW87]Brown, A.W. “A View Mechanism for an integrated Project Support Environment” This volume.Google Scholar
- [BULL84]Bull, ICL, Nixdorf, Olivetti, and Siemens, PCTE: A basis for a Portable Common Tool Environment - Functional Specifications 1984.Google Scholar
- [DATE83]Date, C.J., An Introduction to Database Systems Volume II, Addison Wesley (1983).Google Scholar
- [DILL86]Dillistone, B.R., "VCMF - A Version and Configuration Modelling Formalism", pp. 145–163 in Proceedings of Software Engineering’86, ed. D. Barnes and P. Brown, Peter Peregrinus, Southampton (September 1986).Google Scholar
- [EARL85]Earl, A.N. and Whittington, R.P., "Capturing the Semantics of an IPSE Database - Problems, Solutions and an Example," Data Processing 27(9), Butterworth (November 1985).Google Scholar
- [EARL86]Earl, A.N., Whittington, R.P., Hitchcock, P., and Hall, J.A., "Specifying a Semantic Model for use in an Integrated Project Support Environment," in Proceedings of Software Engineering Environments, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., Lancaster University (2nd- 4th April 1986)Google Scholar
- [GRIE82]Griethuysen, J.J. Van, "Concepts and Terminology for Conceptual Schema and the Information base," Report of ISO TC97/SC5/WG3 (1982).Google Scholar
- [GUTT82]Guttman, A. and Stonebraker, M., "Using a Relational Database System for Computer Aided Design Data," Database Eng. 5(2), pp. 21–28 (1982).Google Scholar
- [HALL75]Hall, P.A., Hitchcock, P., and Todd, S.J., "An Algebra of Relations for Machine Computation," pp. 225–232 in Proceedings of 23rd ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages(1975).Google Scholar
- [KENT79]Kent, W., "The Entity Join," Proc. 5th International Conf. on Very Large Data Bases(October 1979).Google Scholar
- [SUFR85]Sufrin, B., Morgan, C., Sorensen, I., and Hayes, I., Notes for a Z Handbook Part 1 — Mathematical Language, Oxford University Computing Laboratory, PRG, July 1985.Google Scholar
- [UDAG84]Udagawa, Y. and Mizoguchi, T., "An Extended Relational Database System for Engineering Data Management," IEEE Data Base Engineering, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Kamakura City, Japan 7(2), pp. 119–127 (June 1984).Google Scholar