Electrical Measurement of Fluid Distribution in Human Legs and Arms and Its Clinical Application
Since the distribution of fluid in living tissue is greatly affected by physiological variables such as those of blood circulation, tissue metabolism and electrolyte concentrations in the intra- and extracellular fluids, information concerning fluid distribution is of some importance in the diagnosis of various diseases, the monitoring of seriously ill patients and in treatments such as artificial dialysis. It is, however, quite difficult to measure the distribution of fluid in the tissues in vivo.
KeywordsElectrical Impedance Extracellular Fluid Fluid Distribution Extracellular Fluid Volume Ergometer Exercise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackman, J. J., Seitz, M. A., Dawson, C., and Sances, A., 1976, Complex bioelectric impedance measurement for the detection of pulmonary edema, in: “Digest of llth ICMBE, Ottawa, Canada”: 288.Google Scholar
- Haeno, M., Sakamoto, K., and Kanai, H., 1985, Estimation of fluid distribution by impedance method, Jap. J. Med. Electron. Biol. Eng., 23:354.Google Scholar
- Kanai, H., Sakamoto, K., and Haeno, M., 1983, Electrical measurement of fluid distribution in human legs: estimation of extra- and intra-cellular fluid volume, J. Microwave Power, 18:233.Google Scholar
- Sakamoto, K., Higashiizumi, T., and Kanai, H., 1979, Frequency characteristics of the electrical impedance of legs, Jap. J. Med. Electron. Biol. Eng., 17:264.Google Scholar
- Schwan, H. P., 1957, Electrical property of tissues and cells, Adv. Biol. Med. Phys., 5:147.Google Scholar
- Schwan, H. P., 1959, Alternating current spectroscopy of biological sub-stances, Proc. IRE, 10:1845.Google Scholar
- Thomasset, A. L., Lenoir, J., Roullet, C., Jenin, P., Beruard, M., Bernard, C. H., and Baur, F., 1983, The physiological surveillance of hemodialysis session by the continuous measurement of L.F. impedance of the circulating blood, Clin. Exper. Dialysis Apheresis, 7:235.Google Scholar
- van Stone, J. C., Bauer, J., and Carey, J., 1980, The effect of dialysate sodium concentration on body fluid distribution during hemodialysis, Trans. Am. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs, 26: 383.Google Scholar