Growth Rate and the Control of Development of the Photosynthetic Apparatus in Chloroflexus Aurantiacus as Studied on the Basis of Cytoplasmic Membrane Structure and Chlorosome Size
Chloroflexus aurantiacus synthesizes two different kinds of bacteriochlorophylI, BChl a and BChl c (Pierson and Castenholz, 1974). Both pigments are, however, not only allotted to cytotogically different structures, but also fulfil different functions in the photosynthetic apparatus of Cf. aurantiacus (Fuller and Redlinger, 1965). While BChl a-protein complexes constitute light-harvesting and photochemical reaction-center units located in the cytoplasmic membrane, BChl c-protein complexes harvest light in bag-like structures, the chlorosomes, which are attached to the cytoplasmic membrane. Chlorosomes are linked to the cytoplasmic membrane by a baseplate which contains a third BChl a-protein complex isolated at a constant Low proportion together with chlorosomes (Feick et al., 1962).
KeywordsDilution Rate Photosynthetic Apparatus Cytoplasmic Membrane 8Chl Content Chemostat cuLtures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Betti, J. A., Blankenship, R.E., Natarajan, L.V., Dickinson, L.C., and Fuller, R.C., 1962, Antenna organization and evidence for the function of a new antenna pigment species in the green photosynthetic bacterium Chloroflexus aurantiacus, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 680:194.Google Scholar
- Feick, R.G., Fitzpatrick, M., and Fuller, R.C., 1962, Isolation and characterization of cytoplasmic membranes and chlorosomes from the green bacterium Chloroflexus aurantiacus, J. Bacteriol., 150:905.Google Scholar
- Fuller, R.C., and Redlinger, T.E., 1965, Light and oxygen regulation of the development of the photosynthetic apparatus in Chloroflexus, in: “Molecular Biology of the Photosynthetic Apparatus”, K.E. Steinbeck, S. Bonitz, C. J, Arntzen, and L. Bogorad, eds., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.Google Scholar
- Golecki, J. R., and Oelze, J., 1967, Quantitative relationship between bacteriochlorophyll content, cytoplasmic membrane structure and chlorosome size in Chloroflexus aurantiacus, Arch. Microbiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Golecki, J. R., Schumacher, A., and Drews, G., 1960, The differentiation of the photosynthetic apparatus and the intracytoplasmic membrane in cells of Rhodopseudomonas capsulata upon variation of light intensity, Eur. J. Cell Biol. 23:1.Google Scholar
- Herbert, D., Elsworth, R., and Telling, R.C., 1956, The continuous culture of bacteria: a theoretical and experimental study, J. Gen. Microbiol., 14:661,Google Scholar
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, R.L. and Randall, R.F., 1951, Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent, J. Biol. Chem. 193:254.Google Scholar
- Oelze, J., and Fuller, R.C., 1967, Growth rate and control of development of the photosynthetic apparatus in Chloroflexus aurantiacus, Arch. Microbiol. 146:132.Google Scholar