A Pictorial and Textual IR Environment based on Image Description
The availability of more and more on-line mass storage has made feasable the realisation of new applications in the field of the management of image archives by means of Information Retrieval (IR) techniques. These applications can be realised by using documents that contain both formatted and unformatted information that describes the image itself. In addition, the documents contain suitable pointers that allows to have the images back from an external memory. It doesn’t matter the recording support: microfilm, magnetic or optical disks, and so on. Formatted information and descriptions are processed with IR techniques in order to retrieve the documents and obtain a reproduction of the desired images.
KeywordsPyramid Remote SenSing Landsat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 0.F.Naldi, I.Gagliardi, P.Gallitognotta, Description of an Information Retrieval System with Graphic Capabiblities, in: “Proceedings of the Information Computing Symposium 1985”, G.Valle, G.Bucci eds, North Holland, (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.C.F.Hutchinson, Techniques for Combining Landsat and Ancillary Data for Digital Classification Improvement, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, vol. 48, no 1, pp. 123–130, (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.S.K.Chang, Image Information Systems, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 73, no 4, (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.S.K.Chang, S.H.Liu Picture Indexing and Abstraction Techniques for Pictorial Databases,IEEE PAMI, vol. PAMI–6, no. 4, (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.P.Mussio, R.Rabagliati, Analysis of Watey Remote Sensed Data: Requirements for Data Bases and Data Bases Interactions, in: “,Data Base Techniques for Pictorial Applications”, A. Blaser ed., 1980.Google Scholar
- 8.D.M. McKeown, Jr, Digital Cartography and Photo Interpretation from a Database Viewpoint, in: “New Applications of Data Bases”, G. Gardarin, E. Gelenbe eds., Academic Press, (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.M.Beretta, P. Mussio, M. Protti, Icons: Interpretation and Use, 1986 IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Visual Languages,IEEE Computer Society Press, (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.U.Cugini, M.Dell’Oca, D.Merelli and P.Mussio, A Computer Aided System for Interactive Definition of Digital Image Interpretation, in: “Digital Image Analysis”, S.Levialdi ed., Pitman, pp. 270–279, (1984).Google Scholar