Interfaces: The Next NDE Challenge
Nondestructive evaluation, as practiced in the 1960’s, attempted to detect (but was often unable to characterize) the existence of defects in engineering structures. Qualitative criteria were used in the assessment of defect significance and the determination of accept/reject decisions. Advances in elasto-plastic fracture mechanics during the 1970’s focused attention upon the defect size and orientation- if these could be measured, then fracture mechanics was capable of quantitative structural integrity evaluation. The papers presented in this conference series during the 1980’s trace the considerable advances of quantitative nondestructive evaluation in satisfying this measurement need. Nowadays, for monolithic materials with well defined fracture toughness, the overconservative rejection criteria of the past are beginning to be replaced by “retirement for cause” concepts.
KeywordsTitanium Magnesium Cobalt Boron Brittle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. E. King and J. F. Knott, Metal Science, Jan 1, (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.J. R. Rice, Effects of Hydrogen on Behavior of Materials, eds A. W. Thompson and I. M. Bernstein, TMS AIME, 455, 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.D. P. Pose et al, Structural Uses for Ductile Ordered Alloys, National Advisory Board, NMAB-419, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.H. A. Lipsitt, “Titanium Aluminides — An Overview”, MRS Symposia Proceedings, High Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys, Boston, 39, 351, 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Vedula, Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy, 16, 727, 1984.Google Scholar
- 10.B. R. Lawn, and C. J. Fairbanks, “Thoughness and Flaw Responses in Nontransforming Ceramics: Implications for NDE”, in Review of Progress in QNDE, ed. D. O. Thompson, and D. E. Chimenti, 6B, 1023, 1987.Google Scholar
- 21.J. W. Matthews, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., 12, 126, (1975).Google Scholar
- 22.J. A. Ahearn, Private Communication.Google Scholar
- 23.N. H. G. Wadley, J. A. Simmons, R. B. Clough, E. Drescher-Krasicka, F. S. Biancaniello, M. Rosen, T. Hsieh, “Composite Materials Interface Characterization,” NBS Internal Report 87–3630, 1987.Google Scholar