Light Forces and Atom Diffraction — An Illustrated Summary
Study of the transfer of momentum to atoms by radiation offers a new research approach to one of the oldest and most fundamental problems in physics — the interaction of radiation and matter. In the last decade, a number of theorists have been attracted to this research area because of its intrinsic importance and conceptual simplicity, and because of its relevance to a number of other areas of current theoretical concern including: atoms in intense radiation fields, dressed atoms, multi-photon processes, temporal correlations in spontaneous decay (eg. photon bunching), the incorporation of randomness into quantum mechanical formalisms, cooling and heating by radiation, and the slowing, manipulation, and confinement of atoms using radiative forces.
KeywordsRadiative Force Rabi Frequency Spontaneous Decay Atom Interferometer Bragg Scattering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Special Issue of J. Opt. Soc. Amer.B2, 1706 – 1860, 1985.Google Scholar
- J. Dalibard, C. Salomon, A. Aspect, E. Arimondo, R. Kaiser, N. Vansteenkiste and C.Cohen- Tannoudji, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Atomic Physics, 4–8 July 1988, Paris, France.Google Scholar
- V.I. Balykin, V.S. Letokhov, Y.B. Ovchinnikov, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Atomic Physics, 4–8 July 1988, Paris, France.Google Scholar
- V.A. Grinchuk, E.F. Kuzin, M.L. Nagaeva, G.A. Ryabenko, A.P. Kazantsev, G.I. Surdutovich, and VP. Yakovlev, Phys. Lett86A, 136 (1981).Google Scholar
- P.L. Kapitza and P.A.M. Dirac, Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc.29, 297 (1933).Google Scholar
- Fred Moore, private communication (1987)Google Scholar
- C.G. Shull, Phys. Rev. Lett211585 (1968)Google Scholar
- P.L. Gould, P.J. Martin, G.A. Ruff, R.E. Stoner, J. Picque, and D.E. Pritchard, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett.Google Scholar
- B.G. Oldaker, P.J. Martin, P.L. Gould, M. Xiao, and D.E. Pritchard, (in preparation).Google Scholar
- S. Altschuler and Lee Frantz, U.S. Patent # 3761721, Sept. 25, 1973.Google Scholar