Subsurface Defects in Silicon Investigated by Modulated Optical Reflectance Measurements
The investigation of defects in silicon by modulated optical reflectance measurements has proven to be a powerful and easy-to-use method of nondestructive materials characterization. This technique has been used to monitor ion implant dose  and measure polishing damage  in silicon wafers, and to map O2 swirl precipitates in Czochralski-grown silicon . Laser-induced modulated reflectance offers advantages over some related thermal-wave techniques: it is contactless, and because it can be performed at modulation frequencies of several MHz, it offers micron-scale resolution. Its noncontact and nondestructive nature makes this technique attractive for production-line use in the semiconductor industry.
KeywordsTransmission Electron Microscopy Image Amorphous Layer Transmission Electron Microscopy Sample Weak Beam Dark Field Weak Beam Dark Field Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.L. Smith, A. Rosencwaig, and D.L. Willenborg, Appl. Phys. Lett. 47 (6), 1985Google Scholar
- 2.W.L. Smith, S. Hahn, and M. Arst, in Proc. Fifth Intl. Symp. of Silicon Mat. Sci. and Tech. Semiconductor Silicon 1986 (Huff, Abe, and Kolbesen, eds.) Electrochem Soc. Pennington, NJ, p. 206.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Guidotti and H.M. van Driel, Appl. Phys. Lett. 47 (12), 1985Google Scholar
- 4.H. Alexander and P. Haasen, Solid State Phys., 22, 1968Google Scholar
- 5.E.R. Weber and H. Alexander, J. de Physique, 44, C4-319, 1983Google Scholar
- 6.K.S. Jones, S. Prussin, and E.R. Weber, Appl. Phys., A45, 1988Google Scholar
- 7.“Therma-Probe” is a trademark of Therma-Wave, Inc., Fremont, CAGoogle Scholar
- 8.J. Opsal, M.W. Taylor, W.L. Smith, and A. Rosencwaig, J. Appl. Phys. 61 (1), 1987Google Scholar
- 9.The wafers were implanted by a third party, who subsequently lost all information regarding wafer temperature during implantation.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Opsal, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- 11.S.M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Wiley, New York, 1981Google Scholar