The Performance of a Leaky Surface Acoustic Wave Transducer Consisting of PVDF and Fused Quartz
A leaky surface acoustic wave transducer operating at a liquid-solid boundary radiates a longitudinal wave into water. The structure of aPVDF/ interdigital transducer/fused quartz plate is analyzed numerically to understand the transducer performance including the phase velocity and efficiency for the acoustic beam radiation into water in comparison with the characteristics in a structure incorporating a piezoelectric ceramic plate instead of PVDF. The zeroth-order mode has a large transducer efficiency, although the electromechanical coupling constant is small. The results are useful in designing an ultrasonic transducer for acoustical imaging and sensor technology.
KeywordsQuartz Fluoride Acoustics Weinstein Hydrophone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Chubachi and T. Sannomiya, “Composite Resonator Using PVDF Film and its Application to Concave Transducer for Focusing Radiation of VHF Ultrasonic Waves”, Proc. IEEE Ultrason. Symp., pp.119–123 (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.W. H. Chen, H. J. Shaw, D. G. Weinstein, and L. T. Zitelli, “PVDF Transducers for NDE”, Proc. IEEE Ultrason. Symp., pp.780–783 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.H. J. Nguen, P. Hartemann, and D. Broussoux, “Single Element and Array PVDF Transducers for Acoustic Imaging”, Proc. IEEE Ultrason. Symp., pp.832–836 (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.D. R. Bacon, “Characteristics of a PVDF Membrane Hydrophone for Use in the Range 1–100 MHz”, IEEE Trans. Sonics Ultrason., SU-29, pp.18–24 (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.G. W. Farnell and C. K. Jen, “Microscope Lens Using Conversion of Rayleigh to Compressional Waves”, Proc. IEEE Ultrason. Symp., pp.673–676 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Kobayashi, T. Moriizumi and K. Toda, “Longitudinal Acoustic Wave Radiated from an Arched Interdigital Transducer”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 52, pp.5386–5388 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.G. W. Farnell, “Symmetry Considerations for Elastic Layer Modes Propagation in Anisotropic Piezoelectric Crystals”, IEEE Trans. Sonics Ultrason., SU-17, pp.229–238 (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.R. S. Wagner, “PVF2 Elastic Constants Evaluation”, Proc. IEEE Ultra-son. Symp., pp.464–468 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.Tokin Products Catalogue (Piezoelectric ceramics).Google Scholar