Information Systems Evaluation: Understanding Subjective Assessments
The evaluation of computer-based information systems (CBISs) is an important yet difficult area. Its importance can be seen in the high investment that organizations are prepared to make in major new systems, in terms of both monetary costs and general disruption. Regularly, horror stories appear in the literature (e.g. Lucas, 1975), describing CBISs that fail to meet the requirements of users, as well as being delivered late or over-budget. Some form of evaluation of implemented systems is thus essential as feedback for organizational learning, to identify aspects of success and failure, and to help prevent the repetition of errors.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belkin, N. J., and Vickery, A., 1985, “Interaction in Information Systems,” British Library LIR Report, No. 35, British Library, London.Google Scholar
- Burrell, G., and Morgan, G., 1979, “Sociological Paradigms and Organisational Analysis,” Heinemann, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Hirschheim, R. A ., 1985, Information systems epistemology: An historical perspective, in: “Research Methods in Information Systems,” Proc. of the IFIP W.G. 8.2 Colloquium, Manchester Business School, 1–3 September 1984, Mumford, E., Hirschheim, R. A., Fitzgerald, G., and Wood-Harper, A. T., eds., North Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Hirschheim, R. A., and Smithson, S. C., 1988, A critical analysis of information systems evaluation, in: “Information Systems Assessment: Issues and Challenges,” Proc. IFIP W.G. 8.2 Working Conf., Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands, 27–29 August, 1986, Bjorn-Andersen, N., and Davis, G. B., eds., North Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Lucas, H. C ., 1975, “Why Information Systems Fail,” Columbia University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Salton, G., and McGill, M. J., 1983, “Introduction to Modern Information Retrieval,” McGraw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Smithson, S. C., 1988, “The evaluation of information retrieval systems: A user perspective,” Ph.D thesis (in preparation), University of London, London.Google Scholar
- Suchman, E. A., 1967, “Evaluative Research: Principles and Practices in Public Service and Social Action Programs,” Russell Sage Foundation, New York.Google Scholar