Nucleolar Changes in Hypotonic Treatment and the Possibility of Isolation of Nucleolar Fibrillar Complexes
Nucleoli regularly contain the following components: the dense fibrillar component, fibrillar centers the granular component and the nucleolar chromatin (Schwarzacher and Wachtler, 1983; Goessens, 1984; Fakan and Hernandez-Verdun, 1986). Morphological studies suggest a parallel occurrence of the first two components: the fibrillar centers were never found in the active nucleoli without adjacent dense fibrillar component, and the fibrillar centers together with the dense fibrillar component (i.e. fibrillar complexes) seem to correspond to individual nucleolar organizers (Mirre and Stahl, 1981; Mirre and Kniebiehler, 1982; Hozák et al., 1986; Cataldo et al., 1988; Hozák et al., 1989).
KeywordsEhrlich Ascitic Tumor Cell Granular Component Dense Fibrillar Component Hypotonic Treatment Hypotonic Shock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fakan S., and Hernandez-Verdun D, 1986, The nucleolus and the nucleolar organizer regions, Biol. Cell, 56:189.Google Scholar
- Goessens G., 1984, Nucleolar structure, in: ‘International review of cytology’, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hozák P., Novák J. T., and Smetana K. 1989, Three—dimensional reconstructions of nucleolus-organizing regions in PHA—stimulated human lymphocytes, Biol. Cell, 66, in press.Google Scholar
- Hozák P., Zatsepina O., Vasilyeva I., and Chentsov Yu. 1986, An electron microscopic study of nucleolus — organizing regions at some stages of the cell cycle (G0 period, G2 period, mitosis), Biol. Cell, 57:197.Google Scholar
- Mirre C, and Kniebiehler B. 1982, A re-evaluation of the relationships between the fibrillar centers and the NORs in reticulated nucleoli: ultrastructural organization, number and distribution of the fibrillar centers in the nucleolus of mouse Sertoli cell, J. Cell Sci., 55:247.Google Scholar
- Mirre C. and Stahl A. 1981, Ultrastructural organization, sites of transcription and distribution of fibrillar centers in the nucleolus of the mouse oocyte, J. Cell Sci., 48:105.Google Scholar
- Scheer U., Messner K., Hazan R., Raska I., Hansmann P., Falk H., Spiess E., and Franke W. 1987, High sensitivity immunolocalization of double-end single—stranded DNA by a monoclonal antibody, Eur. J. Cell Biol., 43:358.Google Scholar
- Thiry M., Scheer U., and Goessens G. 1988a, Immunoelectron microscopic study of nucleolar DNA during mitosis in Ehrlich tumor cells, Eur. J. Cell Biol., 47:346.Google Scholar