Experimental Studies of MLI Systems at Very Low Boundary Temperatures
Experimental results for various multilayer insulation (MLI) systems are summarized for two sizes of tank calorimeters. The cold side boundary temperature was normal boiling point (NBP) helium (4.2 K) with hot boundaries between 30 and 130 K. Heat rate data were obtained for double aluminized Mylar (DAM) and double goldized Mylar (DGM) radiation shields and for a wide variety of net spacer materials. The data indicate the temperature regimes in which the application of MLI to the tank reduces heat rates below the rate for a low emissivity surface without MLI. These data are useful in the design of long-life systems which incorporate low-temperature vapor-cooled shields, for example, He-II and solid hydrogen cryostats for long-life space operation.
KeywordsTotal Heat Helium Boiling Calorimeter Emissivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. C. Nast, Status of Solid Cryogen Coolers, Adv. Crvo. Eng. 31 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.A. R. Urbach and P. V. Mason, IRAS Cryogenic System Flight Performance Report, Adv. Crvo. Eng. 29: 651 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.R. A. Hopkins , Design and Performance of the Superfluid Helium Dewar for the Cosmic Background Explorer, Adv. Crvo. Eng. 31 (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.L. G. Naes et al., Two-Year Solid Hydrogen Cooler for the Cryogenic Limb Array Spectrometer (CLAES), Proc. SPIE, Technologies of Crvogenicallv Cooled Sensors and Fourier Transform Spectrometers II, 364 (Aug. 1982).Google Scholar
- 5.C. W. Keller, G. R. Cunnington, and A. P. Glassford, “Final Report - Thermal Performance of Multilayer Insulations,” NASA CR-134477 (April 1974).Google Scholar
- 7.T. C. Nast, L. Naes, and J. Stevens, Thermal Performance of Tank Applied Multilayer Insulation at Low Boundary Temperatures, Proc. 10th Intl. Cryogenic Engineering Conf. Helsinki (Aug. 1984).Google Scholar
- 8.T. C. Nast, D. J. Frank, and I. E. Spradley, Investigations of Multilayer Insulations at Low Boundary Temperatures, Proc. 11th Intl. Cryogenic Engineering Conf. Berlin (April 1986).Google Scholar
- 9.E. M. Leung et al., Techniques for Reducing Radiation Heat Transfer Between 77 and 4.2 K, Adv. Crvo. Eng. 25 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.T. Ohmori et al., Multilayer Insulation with Aluminized Dimplar Polyester Film, Proc. 11th Intl. Cryogenic Engineering Conf. Berlin (April 1986).Google Scholar