Production of Lepton Pairs at the LBL Bevalac
We discuss the physics objectives of the DLS program with some emphasis on the possible use of dileptons as a probe of pion dynamics in nuclear matter. Data on p-Be reactions at 1-5 GeV and Ca-Ca at 1-2 A GeV are presented. The observation of a structure at about twice the pion mass in the e + e - invariant mass spectra above 2 GeV beam energy and the excitation function for the p-Be reaction suggest that pion annihilation is a significant dielectron source above 2 GeV. The dielectron mass spectrum from Ca-Ca at 1 A GeV exhibits an inverse slope larger than the one from p-Be at the same beam energy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A.J.S. Smith, in Proceedings of the Moriond Workshop on Lepton Pair Production, Les Arcs, France, 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.G.E. Brown, in Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Nucleus-Nucleus Collisions, Saint-Malo, France, 1988, and Nuclear Science Seminar, LBL, January 1989.Google Scholar
- 13.S. Pratt, University of Wisconsin preprint (1989).Google Scholar
- 14.T. Akesson et al., Phys. Lett. B153, 419 (1985).Google Scholar
- 16.C. Naudet et al., to be published in Phys. Rev. Lett..Google Scholar
- 17.A. Letessier-Selvon et al., to be published in Phys. Rev. C.Google Scholar
- 20.C. Gale and J. Kapusta, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett..Google Scholar
- 21.C.M. Ko, Texas A&M University, private communication.Google Scholar
- 22.G. Roche et al., to be published in Phys. Lett. B.Google Scholar